What does the team do
We are the OSP Inbound and Freezer department, we are building the software powering our next-generation fulfilment centres, which are core to the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
Our software implements complex algorithms and business logic to schedule and coordinate the work of hundreds of people fulfilling customer orders. This includes receiving stock from suppliers, decanting and storing inventory, picking orders, including dealing with expectations. Efficiency and accuracy are at the centre of everything we do.
Within the OSP Inbound and Freezer department, we have teams working with a range of technologies including Java, Scala, AWS, Akka, Play, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kubernetes and more.
We support our staff in continuously learning through the internal and external training, attending conferences, regular tech talks over pizza and drinks, and meetups.
What would I be doing?
You will be part of a team comprising of 5-8 engineers, a Team Lead and a Product Manager. You will contribute to the delivery of features from conception to production.
As you grow in your role, you will:
- Drive technical excellence within our teams
- Be an example for other developers to aspire to.
- You will be a practitioner of clean code, TDD and will contribute to the evolution of our Agile processes.
- You will understand the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strive for a high level of automation.
- Participating in out of hours support rota.
What we are looking for
- Experience working with Java (preferably 11 but experience with Java 8 onwards is fine)
- Experience using Spring Boot
- Experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle
- Experience of implementing good testing practices like TDD and BDD.
- Proficiency in English (both verbal and written).
It would be a bonus if you have experience with any of the below technologies, but do not feel hesitant to apply if you don’t.
- A good understanding of CI/CD best practices
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.