“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud & IoT. We develop the innovative software & hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia & beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK & Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) & Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best & to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration & Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do
You’ll work in our Finance team, reporting into one of our Finance Business Partners, you’ll partner with colleagues across Ocado Technology. As we use a Business Partner model, the strong relationships the team builds with their stakeholder group (Ocado Technology) are paramount to their success.
Ocado Technology makes extensive use of the Public Cloud, utilising each of AWS, GCP & Azure for various purposes. This spend continues to increase over time, driven by increasing development, growth in OSP and a strategy to migrate applications, data & infrastructure to the Cloud.
What would I be doing?
We need an experienced, motivated BI Analyst to utilise the most appropriate technologies & data structures to deliver real, actionable insights & to articulate these across the Ocado Technology Senior Leadership Team.
This is a forward looking role in an area where insight is needed to support key assumptions in understanding our cloud consumption, forecasting models & providing rigor into investment cases. This role will include, but won’t be restricted to the following:
- Owning & developing stakeholder costs model, providing data based, accurate forecasting within this dynamic area across multiple business areas
- Designing data models to drive insightful reporting to influence both business strategy & behaviours within the Technology Streams
- Creating strong relationships with & articulating insights to stakeholders
- Monitoring cloud activity & taking actions to build preventative & detective controls
- Building cost ownership & detailed analysis through the implementation of Controls & resource tagging
- Designing & building reporting to capture key OSP KPIs e.g. Cost per order, basket size mix, client volumes
- Understanding the reporting requirements & designing automated BI reports & dashboards
- Identifying required data sources & building data transformation tools
- Understanding & enhancing the data architecture
- Optimising the use of Spot instances, Enterprise Discounts, Savings Plans & any other methods to reduce our reliance on on-demand pricing
- Driving efficiencies through use of data based insight
What we are looking for
- Significant demonstrable experience as a BI Analyst
- Experience with business partnering to drive change
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to gather, understand & interpret business requirements
- Demonstrable statistical analysis skills, e.g. statistical significance
- Proficiency in Business Intelligence platforms such as Data Studio, Tableau & Power BI etc.
- Proven ability to query data in both SQL
- Experience with combining data from data sources such as Json APIs
- In-depth knowledge & experience of data-warehousing strategies & techniques
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- An undergraduate STEM degree or equivalent qualification
- Experience working for a similar, fast paced technology company
- Experience of Agile methodologies, ie: Scrum, Kanban, etc.
- Experience of the following systems: AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Data Studio, BigQuery
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people & we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary & share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station & of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences & events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs & external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative & may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied & been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied & been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality & we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer & we are committed to treating all applicants & employees fairly & equally.