Ocado Group is climbing up the ladder of the FTSE 100 and growing with nine partners globally. Our business is maturing rapidly, evolving from its retail roots into a highly sought-after international technology provider.
Ocado Group's finance function is integral to the day-to-day operation allowing us to constantly measure, understand and drive our performance whilst mitigating risk. Our Finance team is currently going through an extremely exciting transformation where the team is evolving and growing to support the business.
The Head of Group Accounting is a newly created role within our growing Finance team reporting to the Director of Global Finance Excellence.
In this role you will be a member of the finance leadership team with responsibility for effective and accurate processing on general ledger and intercompany transactions to provide robust and timely financial accounts for internal business decision making and external statutory reporting.
The position presents the opportunity and challenge of working in both a dynamic and exciting environment within the UK’s largest listed technology company, disrupting the world of online grocery and fulfilment.
What will you be doing?
- Lead the team to process journal entries/allocations, intercompany transactions and subsidiary recharges accurately, timely and sense checked based on knowledge of the business context - managing the P&L and Balance Sheet accounts and reporting including first level commentary
- Manage performing general and relevant sub-ledger (Group & Subsidiary) account reconciliations;
- Overall responsibility for the general ledger close / Period End processing delivering to the close calendar timelines
- Lead the team to process adjustments and work closely with the business partners to manage expectations;
- Ownership of accounting for all international locations, from local accountant selection to integration and stat review
- Oversee transactions, understand variances and proactively identify problems and opportunities to standardise, streamline and improve processes and accuracy
- Provide completed external reporting (e.g. Stats) to External Reporting and Financial Planning and Analysis teams
- Provide standard reporting with commentary to Commercial Finance so that they can provide insight enabling business decision making
- Provide the accurate numbers for all disclosures for the annual report and statutory accounts
- Lead the team to complete tax and external tax compliance across all taxes to Tax team for review and submission
- Implement and adhere to accounting policies set by the in-house technical team
- Act as a global process owner for record to report processes maintaining the end to end process integrity and driving process efficiency, effectiveness and compliance working closely with the Continuous Improvement team
- Drive process governance and measure process effectiveness supported by measurements and reporting
- Continuously improve service offering and processes to ensure effective and compliant reporting and accounting
- Leading on change and ensuring that outputs are appropriately integrated with process, control and change management activities
- Building and developing a high performing highly engaged team, creating a culture of excellence
- Support audit processes
- Experience of leadership within a global financial operations environment with a track record of delivering effectiveness, efficiency and compliance targets / SLAs
- Relevant financial qualifications (ACA/ACCA)and understanding of relevant regulatory environments
- In depth understanding of core financial processes and relevant systems
- Knowledge of accounting,tax and reporting standards & principles,
- Experience in a fast paced global environment
- Experience in delivering great customer / user experience
- Experience in process improvement, automation
- Ability to translate strategy into clear plans and objectives, managing conflicting priorities and aligned with business wide requirements and stakeholders
- Continuous improvement skillset to drive effectiveness in process, data and reporting paired with the ability to establish improvement mindset in their teams
- Continuous learning mindset leveraging internal and external sources
- Ability to build insight and create a story around data linking financial and and business information to influence strategic decisions
- Change leadership skills including setting clear vision and purpose for change and acting as a role model
- Ability to build trusted partnerships across senior leaders and the wider business, partnering them to build their strategy
- Negotiation skills to manage third party providers effectively
- Experience of building and developing a high performing highly engaged team providing coaching and mentoring to develop talent
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own groundbreaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate, and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams, and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples, and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunchtime taste buds! All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships, and family-friendly offers.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better.