What does the team do
Our test platform team is responsible for the development of an in-house tool that creates isolated and fully virtualized warehouses for the execution of various types of testing. By isolating OSP applications in our infrastructure, end-to-end testing becomes deterministic and parallelizable, and can be executed in a safe production-like environment before our applications are deployed to the Ocado warehouses.
The team is undergoing an exciting transformation: the tooling is expanding to not just accommodate K8s applications but also AWS-based systems. By doing so, our test platform team aims to provide a safety net between applications and the dev ops teams, ensuring that warehouse applications can be deployed to production environments with minimal disruption and enabling each of our 24/7 warehouses to operate at hundreds of thousands of orders per week.
The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to lead a multi-language and in-expansion team and guide it through the adoption of AWS technologies. The goal is to provide the best-in-class test platform that efficiently provides test environments which closely resemble production environments.
What would I be doing?
The Engineering Team Leader will be responsible for building a high-performance team. To be successful in this role, you will need to be motivated by experimenting with new technology, processes and practices; and be passionate about creating experiences that delight our customers.
The main purpose of this role is to lead a team of software engineers, delivering business critical functionality whilst maintaining high morale, managing the day to day activities in an efficient and professional manner and ensuring all team targets are met. You can do this by:
- Collaboratively developing and implementing engineering standards & processes to aid in the development of high quality software.
- Work with other team leaders and development teams to create and implement a cohesive architecture.
- Gain sufficient domain knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
- Ensure that software developed within your team delivers business value.
- Show flexibility to respond to the changing needs and requirements of the business.
- Proactively report and communicate to the wider organisation on team progress, successes and challenges.
- Mentor members of your team around their strengths and weaknesses to increase their individual effectiveness in the team.
- Build and promote a positive culture and working environment within the team and the organisation.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution.
- Participating in out of hours support rota where agreed.
What we are looking for
We’re looking to recruit this role internally, we’re naturally looking for someone who lives and breathes the Ocado Technology values but we’re also looking for someone to join the team with the below experience:
- A proven track record of developing high-quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Experience of shaping an effective software delivery process within a team.
- Demonstrable ability to influence decisions by developing and maintaining relationships with senior product and engineering managers.
- Demonstrable ability to identify and develop current and future talent to contribute to business success.
- Demonstrable ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.