“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do?
If you’re interested in contributing and collaborating with many teams and departments on a pioneering Supply Chain project, one that is both stimulating and challenging, where the problems are interesting and complex, then this is the role for you.
The team is working on a new mission that aims to transform the Supply Chain services we provide to our clients, a mission that also cuts across multiple domains and departments within Ocado Technology.
The team has the autonomy to define and implement the solutions to deliver this mission, either building brand new greenfield functionality or adding changes to other systems and domains.
What would I be doing?
You will be:
- Part of a team of: 4-5 engineers, a Team Lead and a Product Manager.
- Contributing to the discovery and implementation of features from conception to production.
- Playing a key part in the technical design of solutions to interesting problems.
- Working with the team on continuous improvement of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Developing new systems and capabilities as well as making changes to existing systems owned by other teams.
- Participating in out of hours support rota where agreed.
- Promoting good engineering practices, bug prevention strategies, testability and other advanced quality concepts.
- Contributing to the open, supportive, and dynamic culture of the team
What are we looking for?
A candidate who:
- Is able to work with limited information, ambiguity, and uncertainty, knowing the right questions to ask.
- Has proven commercial Software Development Background with a focus on successfully delivering great products.
- Has proven Java Skills (ideally Java 8+)
- Understands the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strives for a high level of automation.
- Can make a positive impact on the open, supportive, and creative culture of the team.
- Experience with Spring Framework.
- Has experience implementing new architecture with scale.
- Experience working with React Js and/or Redux frameworks.
- (The team is composed of devs with primarily Java server side skills. The Team have however, taken on some Front End work to help us achieve our goals on time. We are trialling how this goes to decide whether the team will continue to work on Front End features in the future. Alongside our server side work)