“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
Who are OCTO?
OCTO is focused on advanced research and the technological future proofing of the business. The Office of the CTO is looking at how we can take all the tech, innovation and know-how assets we have acquired throughout our journey to make new breakthroughs, both for ourselves in our heartland of OSP, and outwards into new sectors
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do...
The new Concept Development team sits within the OCTO division to enable Ocado Technology to change the way the world stores, assembles, sorts, moves and sells atoms through spinout applications of its existing technology and know how (Not just grocery logistics), and also through the development of new concept.
As the Industrial Design Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Continuously creating inventive concepts and designs to solve new challenges in the business.
- Generating 3D models of mechanical designs.
- Identifing and working with suitable development partners in order to fully develop the concepts.
- Overseeing the de-risking of various concepts through simulation, prototyping and physical
- Site layout design in order to optimise efficiencies in warehouse environments.
- Liaising with internal Ocado teams to gain knowledge relating to new concepts.
- Capturing new IP through the inventing process, working with the IP team to protect it.
- Accountability to project budgets, timelines, and KPIs.
- Liaising regularly with key stakeholders, ensuring their needs are met.
- Maintaining good communication with all project stakeholders.
What we are looking for...
- Strong parametric modelling skills.
- Proven flair for the creation and development of new concept.
- Demonstrated design experience in an industrial environment.
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to clearly present and discuss information to senior management in order to communicate with and influence different levels to a business appropriate solution.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Google Sheets/Docs.
- Analytical thinking/Problem Solver/Innovator.
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.