“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
As an engineer in this team, your role will be:
- To produce high-quality code, following the industry standards
- To collaborate with your teammates to implement best-in-class machine learning techniques
- To work with your product owner to understand what to build
- To help your colleagues grow, develop, learn
What does the team do
The Perception Robotics department aims to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. This is already live in our Erith CFC, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all sites, to optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality e.g. so it can pick a wider product range.
Additionally, we will take on new missions, such as using what we have learnt from robotic pick to create robotic decant, and developing advanced guidance for AGVs to move pallets of stock and completed orders.
We are building new teams in this area, and need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of cutting edge robotics and automation.
What we are looking for
- 2:1 or higher (or equivalent) degree in Robotics / Machine Learning / Computer Science / Automation Engineering or other related field
- Strong Python engineering and development skills
- Knowledge of basic machine learning techniques
- Git version control experience
- Agile software development experience
- Focus on quality in a timely manner
This would make you stand out from the crowd.
- Production level Python knowledge
- Advanced machine learning techniques
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery
- Variations of ROS/ROS2 and similar
- Industrial Automation
- Masters-level or PhD-level qualification in a relevant subject would be an advantage
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com and Fetch.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.