“Ocado Technology, powering the future through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
What does the team do?
Collaborate on ground-breaking technologies at the most disruptive, cutting-edge of Ocado’s business. We’re building a new Advanced Prototyping team, in an exciting lab space right in the heart of Stockholm.
Ocado Technology disrupted retail by making online grocery scalable, sustainable, and profitable. Having made the impossible possible, we’re now exploring innovative applications of our technologies to disrupt new industries. This new team will build the edge devices to enable smarter places and systems. That means everything from devices to enhance our state of the art robotic facilities, to environment and crop monitoring in vertical farms.
The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment, knowing their ideas are valued and that their work will see real products put into production environments.
What would I be doing?
As part of Ocado’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer, members of the Advanced Prototyping team should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as an inventor, being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations;
- as a designer, driving PCB design, component selection and wider system architectural decisions;
- as a maker, creating prototype devices and iterating their design with business stakeholders;
- as a developer, writing fault tolerant firmware for devices, as well as the services to harvest their data;
- as an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- as a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of these novel applications of Ocado’s technology;
The Advanced Prototyping team will have links to production and research teams across the business due to the wide range of uses for this technology. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify results.
What we are looking for?
We see the following as ‘must haves’:
- BSc in Computer Science or Electronic Engineering, MSc preferred
- Embedded development experience in C
- Practical knowledge of hardware & software testing
- Using standard lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes and multimeters to verify board functionality
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- Python experience, particularly in a data mining and analysis setting
- Electronic and PCB design experience
- Proven track record of board bring-up of PCBs with programmable devices such as SoCs and FPGAs
- Thorough knowledge of C / C++ programming in an embedded context
- Bash scripting
- Linux device tree
- PCB design tools (ideally Altium Designer / Nexus)
- Embedded microcontroller development experience (including ARM processor)
- Device driver development knowledge
- Communications interfaces experience (SPI, I2C, UART, Ethernet)
This is not a set-in-stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of a team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What do we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, and a competitive salary.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.