“Ocado Technology, powering the future through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
What does the team do?
Collaborate on ground-breaking technologies at the most disruptive, cutting edge of Ocado’s business. We’re building a new advanced prototyping team, in an exciting lab space right in the heart of Stockholm.
Ocado Technology disrupted retail by making online grocery scalable, sustainable, and profitable. Having made the impossible possible, we’re now exploring innovative applications of our technologies to disrupt new industries. This new team will design and build systems to enable more efficient systems. That means everything from devices to enhance our state of the art robotic facilities, to environment and crop handling in vertical farms.
The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment, knowing their ideas are valued and that their work will see real products put into production environments.
What would I be doing?
As part of Ocado’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer, members of the advanced prototyping team should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as an inventor, being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations;
- as a mechanical engineer, setting up and processing data in a CAD environment in an iterative process;
- as a calculations engineer, expressing analytical relationships for understanding and developing solutions;
- as a testing engineer, by setting up, running, verifying, and post processing testing data to understand system behaviour and properties;
- as a designer, driving hardware design, component selection and wider system architectural decisions;
The advanced prototyping team will have links to production and research teams across the business due to the wide range of uses for this technology. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify results.
What are we looking for?
We see the following as ‘must haves’:
- MSc in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Experience in CAD and mechanical modelling
- Experience of assembly, fasteners, tooling, and best practices in mechanical design
- Using standard lab test equipment, test methods, setting up testing, best practices and validate results
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- “Hands on” experience in workshop environment
- Experience using additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping techniques
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods, and the design needs for high cycle numbers
- Knowledge in mechatronics
- Background within solid mechanics, statics, fracture and fatigue
This is not a set-in-stone requirements list. We recognise the hardware industry is filled with smart people from many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of a team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What do we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, and a competitive salary.
We operate out of a modern office in Stockholm.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.