“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
We’re looking for an Engineering Team Lead to lead our team of experienced infrastructure engineers who implement and maintain the Group IT infrastructure footprint across Ocado Group.
- Facilitate the continuous improvement of your team with mentoring, coaching, 1:1s and feedback.
- Take line management responsibility for the members of your team.
- Protect the right balance between infrastructure management standards, company policies and autonomy.
- Be responsible for proactively ensuring our Server, Azure Hybrid Cloud, Identity, VMware and SaaS environments are managed in a class leading way.
- Ensuring operational problems are solved rapidly and gathering feedback in order to support and ensure Service Levels are maintained. In addition helping to design and build solutions required for Ocado Group.
- Representing the team across the business and promoting the teams services and capabilities.
- Ensuring we maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring metrics including availability, latency and performance.
- Scale Windows, Azure, VMware and Citrix-based systems sustainably through mechanisms including PowerShell automation, DevOps tooling(Terraform), patching, performance tuning, and evolve services by pro-actively proposing highly thought out solutions to company needs
- Utilise automation at scale to reduce time spent on low-level tasks and maintenance
- Create and maintain quality documentation, architectural diagrams and records.
Please note that this role is a 12 month fixed term contract.
What does the team do
Group IT has the mission to provide the strategic direction, governance and delivery of the core IT services which enable Ocado group as a whole to deliver on its missions.
The Group Infrastructure Engineering Team Lead is responsible for leading the team which is responsible for the implementation and operation of all core IT services used across Ocado’s global offices to enable end users to access the services they require. This involves building infrastructure to support offices, warehouses and remote working at scale and efficiently.
Our team also participate in 24/7 on-call support rota, the frequency of this is roughly 1 week in 6/7. There would be an expectation for the leader of this team to participate in this in an exception circumstance.
What we are looking for
- A natural leader, someone who can communicate well across all levels, with a focus on developing their team
- Experience with leading on architecture and design patterns
- Experienced in managing and deploying Windows Server solutions at scale, both in the Cloud and On-Prem as well as Zero-Trust Networking
- VMware vSphere / ESX and virtualisation knowledge in general with experience of deployment and upgrades
- Networking experience both on-prem and in the cloud
- Knowledge of scripting and automation with PowerShell/Python/Terraform
- Excellent Knowledge of Azure (Paas/IaaS/Azure AD) with demonstrable hands-on experience working in a Hybrid Cloud environment
- Understanding of Restful APIs, JSON, DevOps Tools and Regex
- Strong knowledge of Identity systems such as AzureAD, AD DS, ADFS etc…
- Experience of administering G-Suite in the enterprise
- Experience of supporting 24x7 enterprise-grade operations in an environment of at least 2000 users / 500+ Servers
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Linux server management experience
- Knowledge of Citrix XenApp and thin client technologies
- IAM governance and process experience
- Knowledge of governance frameworks such as SOC2 and PCI DSS
- Experience of using SolarWinds or other monitoring products to ensure infrastructure metrics are captured and alerts/reporting crafted correctly
- Experience working with Agile or DevOps methodologies
- Professional certifications
- Knowledge of ITIL processes and service management in the enterprise, ITIL Certification
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.