Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A little about our team…
We are Retrieval Robotics Product Management. We are providing vision and leadership to ensure that the robotic systems our engineering teams develop are always way ahead!
These systems are the heart of Ocado’s Smart Platform and identifying opportunities that bring the maximum value to Ocado and our clients is central to our success.
We use tools such as GitLab, Jira, Roadmunk, G-Suite and Miro to manage the development of the elements of our system in a highly collaborative way.
How will I spend my days
You will be part of the Retrieval Robotics Grid product area, partnering with the engineering teams and working with relevant stream stakeholders to define, realise and deliver great products for our clients. Our environment is one of cutting edge product development with a focused approach to constant delivery of high value solutions. The Product Manager role is at the core of the development methodology. This includes defining and managing the product strategy, backlog, benefit analysis, minimum viable product, prioritisation, acceptance criteria and reviewing completed work. Having a learning mindset and being able to understand user requirements, or perform trials and experiments to further understand user behaviour is also an expected part of the product manager role.
The development of this product is complex and has a lot more to it than the simple assembly of vertical and horizontal beams would have you believe. It requires someone with the aptitude to be able to understand the systems, be able to prioritise development and work closely with users, engineers and delivery leads to decide product direction. You must be comfortable allowing the development teams to come up with the solutions whilst being their knowledge base and proxy for the business and user.
How you will spend your days
- Develop a deep understanding of the business processes within our warehouses and understand where your products fit in
- Be a go to person for knowledge about the product
- Build relationships with stakeholders within the business, our warehouse operational teams and also internally within Ocado Technology
- Work with stakeholders to define scope and prioritise stories to maximise business value.
- Help to create a meaningful sense of purpose and mission for the engineering teams
- Maintain the engineering team’s focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements and schedules so that they can concentrate on what they do best: delivering great products!
- Work with Platform Implementation teams to get your products live in our production environments
- Develop a deep understanding of the various systems that the development team are actively working on to enable you to act as a proxy for the team
- Facilitate the development processes and remove obstacles in workflow wherever required
- Work with the engineering teams in estimation and review sessions
- Develop the product vision and strategy to drive our products forward
- Gather user and stakeholder feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap
- Ensure that the Product roadmap is aligned with the platform goals and is validated with stakeholders
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
We’d like to hear from you if you have the following:
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Ability to work in a team effectively and work autonomously as appropriate
- An understanding and appreciation for industrial automation development and design
- An analytical mind set
- Defining product roadmaps and building collaboratively with design and engineering peers
Bonus points if you also have…
- Domain experience with mechanical/structural or automated products
- Experience of working in an ‘agile’ environment
- Ability to estimate the value of features or changes, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Experience delivering or managing turnkey projects
- Previous experience launching hardware products in multiple territories
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.