“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
As part of Ocado’s Research and Development Group, the simulation team contributes to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth. Candidates should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of physical systems and designing prototypes of the control algorithms that run them;
- as an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- as a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of the world’s largest purely online grocery retailer.
We’re looking for people keen on personal development and expect candidates to grow in the role through self directed personal development, collaborative learning, keeping an eye on the latest research, and attending conferences and training.
What does the team do
Ocado Technology’s cutting edge Simulation Area is looking for simulation engineers to research and develop simulation models that enable Ocado to plan for the future. This is a challenging and exciting opportunity, where a successful candidate will be involved in a range of disciplines including software development, simulation modelling, and optimization of control systems. This role is high impact, with the chance to get involved in projects ranging from optimising the algorithms that run production right now, through to modelling and evaluating radical future innovations.
What we are looking for:
- Proven numeracy and ability to think analytically, e.g. a strong degree or PHD in a numerical subject
- Solid programming skills
- Experience of or enthusiasm for simulation and modelling
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, able to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate technical details with a non-technical team, and vice versa
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Experience in a research environment in either academia or industry
- Experience of coding in Java
- Any useful tools (e.g. Excel, Python, SQL)
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.