Ocado is building a new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centre (CFC3) in Andover, Hampshire with the purpose of fulfilling thousands more of our customers orders.
We are now in a position to start recruiting our management team with successful candidates starting in their new roles in the Spring of 2021. This is a fantastic opportunity to develop the site culture, and to be involved in a pre-go live environment as we prepare the site for launch, enabling you to influence ways of working and contribute to achieving a positive employee experience by providing visible leadership.
Team Managers are responsible for managing the performance of a designated Business Unit, an operating zone within the CFC. You’ll also be working closely with other support functions including the People Team, Engineering, Facilities and Safety Advisors to achieve site operational targets.
Working as part of a tiered management team reporting to the Operations Managers, you will be responsible for creating a safe and respectful environment and culture that ensures all workflows run smoothly to deliver maximum client and customer value. You will also be accountable for shaping and delivering an outstanding employee experience for those working in your Business Unit, including training, development and ongoing coaching of Area Coordinators across the site.
What will you be doing?
Living and breathing our 5 Pillars - Safety, People, Customer, Delivery, Cost - you will provide motivation and drive excellence in all that we do.
Safety - Demonstrate and lead a positive Health and Safety culture at work, maintaining exceptional Health and Safety standards across the site and operating region.
People - Create and maintain a great environment to attract, on-board and retain the right people as well as lead your teams to foster a culture of respect, diversity & inclusion, identity, loyalty, trust and aspiration where people are engaged and motivated to commit to Ocado and our values. Key people KPIs will be a vital focus, as will developing your people and actively participating in employee engagement initiatives.
Customer and Cost - Utilise Operational Excellence resources to actively improve end to end performance and enhanced customer performance as well as finding practical and simple solutions to complex problems without sacrificing quality or core functionality. We’ll expect you to provide comprehensive handovers to subsequent managers; presenting operating highlights, risks and opportunities. You will also lead the pursuit of excellent housekeeping standards and ensure food safety mechanisms are adhered to.
Delivery - Manage, motivate and support your team members within a time-sensitive and demanding operational environment whilst being responsible for the delivery and reporting of specific area KPI metrics. You’ll also lead in the daily management of pre-shift briefings, labour allocation, chairing meetings, addressing friction points, job allocation and communicating with internal and external suppliers. You will also communicate effectively with your team to control unexpected events and ensure that the requisite standards of safety, welfare, conduct and process are adhered to
- Previous management experience, ideally in a warehouse or logistics environment
- Experience and knowledge of best practice Health & Safety ways of working;
- Strong verbal & written communication and numeracy skills, used to working with & interpreting large volumes of data
- Passion for dealing with people and focus to achieve employee satisfaction
- Strong performance management knowledge and practical experience of conducting disciplinary & grievance investigations
- Working knowledge of computerised warehouse management systems & core operating reporting tools
- Experience with performance metrics
- High levels of PC/Microsoft package literacy
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Food Safety compliance - knowledge of key elements of food safety standards
- Experience of working in a 24/7 productivity conscious operation
- Mechanical Handling Equipment - current qualifications / previous experience
- Previous experience in a continuous improvement environment & demonstrable problem solving skills
- IOSH accreditation or other Health and Safety accreditation
What else do you need to know?
You will also be expected to:
- Undertake tiered management/personal shopper tasks if the need arises
- Stand/walk for extended periods
- Lift objects weighing up to 30kg (periodically) from the floor to shoulder height
- Wear protective equipment to ensure requisite standards of health and safety are maintained
- Train to use Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Work in environments ranging in temperature from 30℃ to -30℃
- Support other sites from time to time to support the needs of the business
- Follow a shift pattern working any 4 out of 7 shifts (including weekends) in an operational 24/7 environment. Shifts are 12 hours in length and your start time will vary depending on the area in which you are working.
Please note: The above shift pattern won’t be in place during site setup and whilst we are in a pre go-live environment. During this time you will likely be fulfilling your hours during Monday-Friday (on days) and flexibility will be required.
Pay and Benefits
The package includes a competitive salary (dependent on experience), annual performance bonus and a night premium in addition to the basic salary.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and it takes its obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 very seriously. We treat all our employees fairly and equally, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, pregnancy and maternity, trade union membership or offending background, or the fact that they are a part-time worker or a fixed-term employee. Our employees and applicants for employment shall not be disadvantaged by any policies or conditions of service which cannot be justified as necessary for operational purposes.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
If this sounds like your perfect role, and you feel you meet the requirements then we’d love to hear from you. The closing date for applications is Sunday 2nd May.