“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Supply Chain & Planning department in our London office. The successful candidate will be a focal point for the department and as well as being hands on technically, we’re looking for someone who will be able to help us guide architecture & design. As a senior member of the team, we would expect you to:
- Be proactive with teaching, mentoring, training and knowledge sharing.
- Participate in the full delivery lifecycle, from technical discovery to value validation.
- Be responsible for your product’s implementation being diagnostically analysed, where practical, building in observability, in order to resolve faults and be maintainable.
- Reach consistently good conclusions on design, taking into account the business, technical and economic context.
- Manage upwards and communicate challenges, learning and settlements in a transparent, professional and effective way to a variety of audiences across the organisation.
- Give technical advice in pivotal decision making and be a key figure in bringing clarity to complex issues, converting risky opportunities into tangible value.
Whilst this role will primarily cover core working hours, we would also expect you to participate in out-of-hours support for critical situations.
What does the team do
Our Logistics & Supply Chain teams are responsible for building the systems that power the supply chain activities of our retail partners using OSP around the world. As high-profile, mission critical applications, these require rigour, creativity, and engineering prowess to succeed.
Whilst working on a particular piece of work you’ll work directly with one team, working alongside a wide range of different people in a variety of roles across the department. Your reporting lines and the majority of your work will fall within Logistics & Supply Chain, taking part and improving their tech, process and product. You will also be available to a wider scope of departments within the business in order to support and influence them with your knowledge and experience.
Our London Office opened in 2019 and whilst we recently exceeded 100 employees in the office, we’re a social bunch. We’ve been making the most of our virtual socials but when we’re back in the office and it’s safe to do so, you can expect regular socials and tech meetups!
What we are looking for
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be a champion of technical excellence with broad or deep technical skills & will be multiplying the value of those around you on a regular basis. We’ve listed some of the essential skills required:
- Experience supporting, guiding and mentoring teams and departments to effectively balance quality and commercial pragmatism.
- Proven experience with
- Extensive experience of architecturing, designing, and implementing large-scale, cloud-native, distributed, microservice architectures using NoSQL databases, RESTful APIs, and messaging.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that will be an enabler to you building strong, trusting and collaborative relationships with peers as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Deep expertise in one or more of the following:
- performance engineering
- reliability engineering
- test engineering
- Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
- Demonstrable leading level of capability in your field
We mainly run on AWS, using Java and the Java ecosystem, but believe that experience of other major cloud providers and languages is transferable. We are looking for people who can bring fresh ideas and perspectives to our team and broad and varied skills and experience are highly desirable.
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Experience working as a Principal Software Engineer, Engineering Architect or a similar role in other business.
- Prominently leading with your work through ; portfolio of project outcomes, peer reviewed papers, published written works such as blogs, significant open source contributions, public speaking etc.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.