Ocado Solutions is responsible for our corporate international partnerships, offering the proprietary Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado’s physical automation, allowing highly efficient preparation of orders, together with the full end-to-end software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business, bringing the best possible operational economics, consumer experience and service to our partners. Since 2017 we have signed agreements to provide our unique e-commerce solution to a number of the world’s largest grocers, including Groupe Casino (France), Sobeys (Canada), ICA (Sweden), Kroger (USA), Coles (Australia), AEON (Japan), joining our UK partner Morrisons and the Ocado/M&S joint venture. 50+ Customer Fulfilment centres (CFCs) are already committed across our various partners. We continue to invest significantly in our technology and people in order to deliver for current clients and to forge exciting new partnerships.
About the role
The Ocado Solutions Commercial team is responsible for:
- i) Signing new international partners, managing the full sales process from research and initial contact to detailed joint work and ultimately contract signing.
ii) Realising new commercial opportunities with existing partners
We are looking for highly capable candidates with proven experience in strategy (strategy consulting or in-house strategy/business development team in retail industry) or investment banking with retail experience and cross-functional project management to help deliver Ocado Solutions’ ambitious growth plans.
The ICPM will support the Ocado Solutions leadership team on various business development projects, for prospective and existing partners. The ICPM will demonstrate a strong level of ownership and autonomy to run projects, coordinating the various work streams overall (Tech, Logistics, Network Planning, Legal, etc.) and being the main day-to-day project lead on the commercial work stream, building up business modelling and driving strategic commercial decisions.
The ICPM will need to develop strong relationships with key internal stakeholders including colleagues from Engineering, Product and Legal, as well as collaborating with Technology, Finance, Retail and other subject matter experts across Ocado Group. She/he will liaise regularly with prospective and existing partners, so will be a great communicator and negotiator with an aptitude for consultative selling. The ideal candidate will be able to discuss market developments and strategic choices with senior executives, but also have a strong eye for detail and a hands-on approach to solving commercial, technical and logistical challenges. She/he will be naturally curious, able to get up the learning curve quickly and then work autonomously and take initiative. She/he will drive success and inspire it in others with their resourcefulness, flexibility, and resilience.
The ICPM will report to a Head of Commercial Projects and will work closely with the Ocado Solutions leadership team, including the Chief Commercial Officer and CEO of Ocado Solutions. The ICPM will benefit from a strong level of visibility and senior exposure across the entire Ocado Group.
The role is typically based in Ocado's head office in Hatfield (20-30 mins train from London) with regular UK and international travel. Per government advice we expect to be mostly remote working in the short term, with only occasional travel. In the longer term there will be flexibility to continue to work-from-home part of the week.
- Manage multiple international business development projects (between one and four in parallel at varying levels of maturity)
- Liaise with subject matter experts across Ocado to ensure client needs are met in a professional and timely manner
- Lead day-to-day business development activities including presentations, business case advice and commercial workshops
- Act as main point of contact with certain prospective clients, co-ordinating project plans and regular check-points
- Monitor and report on progress at each stage of the project; identify any issues/risks and recommend solutions
- Become the internal SME on the prospective client’s business, using desktop research, field trips and detailed note-taking
- Perform a wide range of quantitative analysis including deal profitability models
- Create and improve team processes and materials
- Support commercial and technical negotiation of complex contracts; contribute to successful deal conclusion
- Arrange and manage visits, either to Ocado’s UK facilities/offices or to those of our prospective clients
- Facilitate successful post-sales activities and ensure a smooth transition to the implementation team
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Top quality university degree (minimum 2:1 or equivalent)
- 4-5+ years in strategy consulting with experience in Retail/FMCG or in a strategy/business dev. team in Retail industry or in investment banking with retail experience
- High proficiency in Excel, data analysis and financial statements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence others internally and externally
- Excellent team player, able to bring different skills and personalities together in a cohesive and productive way
- Strong project management and multi-tasking skills
- Proven experience in E-commerce / Logistics / Technology projects or industry roles
- International working experience
- Knowledge of foreign languages
- Proven experience leading teams & cross-functional projects
Benefits for this role include: Pension, Private medical insurance, Employee discount on Ocado.com, Life assurance, Income protection, Employee Assistance Programme, Share schemes and 25 days holiday (rising to 27 after five years’ service).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.