“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative cu
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Automation Controls Team who are responsible for all aspects of the software that directly controls the material handling equipment that makes the Ocado online shopping solution unique. We are seeking a passionate PLC Engineer to contribute to the needs of the business by working as part of our extraordinary team on designated software development projects, with an emphasis on writing robust, effective code, and developing, maintaining, deploying and supporting high-quality software systems.
- Develop efficient, reliable and supportable software solutions for Ocados warehouse based material handling systems using existing Ocado PLC code libraries.
- Contribute new code to existing PLC libraries to provide new functionality / extend range applications.
- Update, modify and improve existing PLC library modules.
- Work with third party hardware suppliers and system integrators using both Ocado code libraries and third party supplied code.
- Contribute to the development of automatic software deployment tools to support Ocado’s worldwide warehouse development program.
- Contribute to the development of automated tests and simulation software to improve the speed and quality of software development.
- Work with project teams to review architecture and designs of 3rd party supplied systems.
- Attend design review meetings with third party suppliers.
Commissioning and testing:
- Work with internal and external electromechanical teams to commission and test PLC controlled mechanical handling equipment.
- Specify and carry out interface tests between PLCs and other Ocado software systems.
- Identify issues with PLC control and communication networks and work with the relevant teams to resolve.
- Assist electromechanical teams with electrical or mechanical troubleshooting.
- Liaise with engineering team to report issues or improvements to the control of the MHE.
- Generate MHE reliability reports for business testing team to allow handover of the equipment from project to engineering teams.
- Support factory and business acceptance testing.
- Review and analyse the performance of new and existing systems in test and production environments and make improvements.
- Investigate faults reported by the operations team and resolve PLC code related issues.
- Identify electrical and mechanical issues and work with engineering operations to resolve.
- Support the roll out of new features and the resolution of urgent software issues.
- Provide documentation and training to engineering operational support teams.
- Participate in short term go live system support and general departmental remote support rotas when required.
- Extensive experience developing PLC software for industrial applications.
- Extensive on site commissioning and testing experience.
- Strong problem-solving capability, technical leadership and ability to innovate.
- Experience working in a collaborative team focused environment.
- A relevant degree, in an engineering or related subject, or equivalent qualification is prefered.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience working with Siemens PLC product range
- Experience working with warehouse automation or similar
- Profinet, Profibus & ASI bus commissioning and troubleshooting
- Experience of implementing PLC controlled functional safety systems using Siemens safety PLCs.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.