"We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
Who are OCTO?
OCTO is focused on advanced research and the technological future proofing of the business. The Office of the CTO is looking at how we can take all the tech, innovation and know-how assets we have acquired throughout our journey to make new breakthroughs, both for ourselves in our heartland of OSP, and outwards into new sectors
As part of our effort to develop most advanced and innovative research, the team you will be joining is involved in the European Union funded Horizon 2020 research project with a number of leading European Universities and industries.
H2020 project PROTEIN is a research initiative led by a consortium of European public- and private-sector organizations working to promote health and wellbeing. The overall objective of the PROTEIN research project is to promote healthy lifestyles in order to improve the general state of health of the European population, using the latest technologies to offer advanced personalization tools for nutrition and physical activity plans.
You will be working on the development and engineering of mobile application for a personalised nutrition for healthy and contributing to the H2020 PROTEIN project.
As an engineer in the team, you will be responsible for:
- Taking part in the development of a front-end mobile shopping application for the PROTEIN project on a native Android platform using Kotlin
- Ensuring the performance, quality, and responsiveness of the PROTEIN mobile application
- Collaborating with the team and other project consortium members outside OCADO to develop the mobile application
- Working and analysing the performance of the application based on the analytics
- Attending regular meetings, including European travel, to facilitate system hand-over
- Working closely with other team members and stakeholders on issues relating to performance and integration requirements
What we would like you to know:
We see as the following as ‘must haves’:
- 2:1 or 1st class degree (or equivalent experience) in either Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering or related degree
- Good problem solving, analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Knowledge of Android SDK and other Android development tools e.g. Android IDE, Eclipse
- Solid knowledge of mobile user interface development
- Experience with content presentation languages e.g. Java, Kotlin
- Working knowledge of RESTful services
- Ability to develop easy to port and refactor code
- Ability to write secure, clean, maintainable and reusable code
- Familiarity with source control systems and continuous integration tools e.g. Git, Maven, Travis, Jenkins
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- Good understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Ability to design optimal user experience workflows, familiarity with InVision or similar interface
- Understanding or experience working on native iOS projects or features
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Solid understanding of object-oriented development, design patterns and data-driven development
- Other software development skills of interest are those applicable to real-time systems and multi-tasking/multi-threading
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.