“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we’d like you to do…
The Perception Robotics department aims to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. This is already live in our Erith CFC, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all sites, to optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality e.g. so it can pick a wider product range.
Additionally, we will take on new missions, such as using what we have learnt from robotic pick to create robotic decant, and developing advanced guidance for AGVs to move pallets of stock and completed orders.
The Team Leader for one of the new Welwyn Perception Robotics team is a new role, with significant opportunities to grow a high functioning team. Your role will be:
- To grow, develop and lead a new Welwyn Perception Robotics team - building a great team to deliver great products.
- To drive the delivery of best-in-class robotic solutions to CFC problems.
- To collaborate with other teams and stakeholders to build an effective organization.
- Additionally, Team Leaders work with their development centre leadership to build a great place to work (contributing to processes like recruitment, branding, induction etc.)
What we look for...
- Helping the team deliver to their expected standards and live the behavioural standards of Ocado Technology
- Assisting management and the team in top down and bottom up communication, including strategic and tactical priorities
- Maintaining and driving a pro-active and open communication channel between the stakeholders and the team
- Work with the team and its stakeholders to create clear vision for the team and clear team responsibilities (team boundaries)
- People and organisation
- Ensuring that the team is appropriately skilled and trained
- Fostering collaboration with other related teams and stakeholders
- Fostering high motivation, happiness and morale in the team
- Working to have team members in appropriate roles where they can do what they’re best at
- Working to have a team that is well balanced in terms of people in order to fulfil their mission(s)
- Ensuring that people know what is expected of them and are given regular feedback about skills and behaviours
- Taking responsibility for team culture and how it fits with the organisational culture
- Recruitment and building the team, with an understanding of what skills are needed, team dynamic etc.
- Building awareness of business objectives and leading the team to achieve them
- Managing issues that might impede team effectiveness e.g. communication issues, behavioural issues, skill issues, process issues and technical issues
- Coaching the team in how to make intelligent decisions around their function, technology and product/service
- Use their own technical understanding in order to support teams
- Ensuring that the team continuously works to improve
- Work with the team to understand its development progress and capacity, and communicate this as necessary. Build trust and confidence through transparency.
- Perception Robotics
- Oversee the delivery of the Perception Robotics products.
- Help to guide and validate our robotic solutions, making sure the right people are involved in the discussion.
We’d love to talk to you if you have…
- Software engineering experience
- Leadership and people organisation skills
- Robotics & computer vision experience
- Automation experience
- Agile experience
- Focus on quality
- Driven to learn and improve
- Excellent communication skills
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.