“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Who are OCTO?
OCTO is focused on advanced research and the technological future proofing of the business. The Office of the CTO is looking at how we can take all the tech, innovation and know-how assets we have acquired throughout our journey to make new breakthroughs, both for ourselves in our heartland of OSP, and outwards into new sectors.
What does the Concept Development team do?
The new Concept Development team sits within the Chief Technology Officers division who enable Ocado Technology to change the way the world stores, assembles, sorts, moves and sells atoms through spinout applications of its existing technology and know how (Not just grocery logistics), and also through the development of new concepts.
What will I be responsible for?
- Designing and building new electro-mechanical systems to solve existing and future challenges within concept development projects.
- Designing, developing, and enhancing existing electro-mechanical systems and mechatronic devices.
- Creating automated systems and the software to control them.
- Development of concepts, ideas, sketches, building prototypes, testing, component selection, concept selection.
- Generating designs for automation concepts, building and commissioning physical prototypes for testing and demonstration.
- Understanding problems or client briefs and developing solutions that satisfy them.
- Capturing new IP through the inventing process, working with the IP team to protect it
- Supporting various projects within the team, where electromechanical/control systems are required
- Conducting research, documenting findings, and presenting reports to stakeholders.
- Creating drawing packs for new systems.
- Assisting with recruitment, onboarding, and training of junior Engineers or Apprentices.
- Attending workshops, training sessions, and conferences to network with others and stay on top of field advancements.
- Analyse existing solutions or manufacturing procedures and suggest improvements.
What we would like you to have:
- BSc in Mechatronics Engineering or similar.
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and creative thinking skills.
- Self-starter with a passion for Engineering.
- Proven flair for the creation and development of new concepts.
- Proficiency in rapid prototyping, thorough understanding of concepts in physics, right from kinematics to electricity and magnetism.
- Workshop machine experience.
- Additive manufacturing experience.
- Ability to present and discuss information to senior management in order to communicate with and influence different levels to a business appropriate solution.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Google Sheets/Docs.
- Critical thinking/Problem Solver/Innovator.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.