“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
- Plan, conceptualise, and create mechanical designs to support development projects.
- Development of concepts, ideas, sketches and illustrations, building prototypes for testing and stakeholder demonstration.
- Develop testing processes, and perform testing and validation of new designs, through simulation as well as physical tests.
- Document and present findings to support component selection and concept selection.
- Capturing new IP through the inventing process, working with the IP team to protect it.
- Supporting various projects within the team, where mechanical engineering is required.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work.
- Create and review technical drawings and specifications.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary engineering teams, and work with vendors and contractors.
- Perform detailed documentation to track project development and design process.
- Compile and maintain technical packs.
- Ensure project timeline is met and project stays within budget.
- Attending workshops, training sessions, and conferences to network with others and stay on top of field advancements.
What does the team do
The Concept Development team sits within the Chief Technology Officers division who enable Ocado Technology to change the way the world stores, assembles, sorts, moves and sells atoms through spinout applications of its existing technology and know how (Not just grocery logistics), and also through the development of new concepts
What we are looking for
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or in a related field
- Proven experience working in engineering
- Proven flair for the creation and development of new concepts
- Firm grasp of engineering concepts, and experience designing mechanical systems and products
- Excellent math skills: ability to apply advanced mathematical principles and statistics to solve problems, experience in Matlab.
- Ability to clearly present and discuss information to senior management in order to communicate with, and influence different levels to a business appropriate solution
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Google Sheets/Docs
- Analytical thinking/Problem Solver/Innovator
- Experience using CAD software such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or similar
- Experience in FEA and CFD analysis
- Must be self-motivated and a great team worker
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.