Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Superintendent Structural Grid, reports to the Engineering Project Managers. You may have a direct report, but you will be expected to support and coach more junior or less experienced members of the team. You will be a part of the OSP (Ocado Smart Platform) Material Handling Equipment (MHE) Implementation team. The OSP MHE Implementation team is responsible for on-site construction, contractor management and implementation of all components, machines and MHE systems for the Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) for Ocado and their clients.
Your role in the team is to:
- Understand structural installation practices in the US and be familiar with OSHA and local regulations
- Physically perform quality checks of structural grids installed in the field
- This role will primarily be in the field on the Fulfillment Center construction sites, but there will be some time spent in the construction site office in meetings and completing reports
- Guide the installation contractors on how to use the installation manuals for the grid
- Provide direction to the installation contractor on preferred methods of installation and best practices
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Working closely with internal stakeholders (e.g. Engineering Operations, Business Project Managers, and Engineering Supply Chain) and external stakeholders to ensure a successful delivery of project and handover to Go-Live.
- Ensure structural grid is successfully installed the first time to minimize any rework needed
- Communication across teams and to project stakeholders ensuring expectations are managed
- Ensuring programs stay on plan, budget and meet specifications
- Identify and coordinate applicable engineering change requests
- Maintain the company's engineering standards
- Risk identification and mitigation, anticipating engineering challenges
- Take ownership of engineering problems, seeing them through to resolution
- Working with planning colleagues to create and maintain realization programs
- Produce/update and agree to the relevant Ocado Health and Safety Risk Assessment
- Perform a documented handover process to the Engineering Project Manager for the implementation and handover phase
- Provide ad hoc project support post-handover
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 4 years relevant experience in supervision of structural elements
- A minimum 2 years relevant experience in a management or supervisory level
- Experience on mechanical installation of structural steel, or pallet racking and/or AS/RS systems
- Degree in Relevant Engineering Field Preferred
- Certifications/Licenses in electrical contracting a plus
- Experience managing the installation and commissioning of Automation Equipment, Conveyor systems prefered
Location: This position will be assigned to a project site within the US for a period of 6-18 months. The position will be expected to be on-site full time. Travel to other sites for training, including internal travel will be required. Remote with 80% travel.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.