“Ocado Technology is powering the future through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
What does the team do?
Collaborate on ground-breaking technologies at the most disruptive, cutting-edge of Ocado’s business. We’re expanding the Simulation and Control Systems team, led by one of the inventors of Ocado’s pioneering automation technology.
Ocado Technology disrupted retail by making online grocery scalable, sustainable, and profitable. Having made the impossible possible, we’re now exploring innovative applications of our technologies to disrupt new industries. This new team will build the high-fidelity models and intelligent algorithms powering our exploration.
The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment, knowing their ideas are valued and that their work will help shape the business.
What would I be doing?
As part of Ocado’s Advanced Technology division, members of the New Sectors Simulation team should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as an inventor, being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations;
- as a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of physical systems, designing the control algorithms that run them, and make 3D-visualisations for debugging and demonstration purposes;
- as an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- as a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of these novel applications of Ocado’s technology.
Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify simulation results.
What are we looking for?
We see the following as ‘must haves’:
- Computer Science (MSc) or equivalent level of knowledge
- Solid Java (we use Java 11 and above)
- Strong analytical skills
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- Python experience, particularly in a data mining and analysis setting
- C# experience
- 3D and/or game development experience
- Experience and interest in Real-time Systems
- Experience and interest in optimisation techniques
- Knowledge of some AI and Machine Learning techniques
- Strong statistical skills
This is not a set-in-stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of a team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc), being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us), craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What do we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, and a competitive salary.
We operate out of a newly renovated modern office on Långholmen.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.