“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do
We are OSP Phoenix, we are building the software powering our next-generation fulfilment centres, which are core to the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
Our software implements complex algorithms and business logic to schedule and coordinate the work of hundreds of people fulfilling customer orders. This includes receiving stock from suppliers, decanting and storing inventory, picking and dispatching orders, including dealing with expectations. Efficiency and accuracy are at the centre of everything we do.
Within OSP Phoenix Zones, we have teams working with a range of technologies including Java, Scala, AWS, Akka, Play, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kubernetes and more.
We support our staff in continuously learning through the internal and external training, attending conferences, regular tech talks over pizza and drinks, and meetups.
- In the three amigos style, participate in the discovery of technical solutions with special focus on how we will test the solution.
- Maintain and raise the testing standard of the product by leading with example and coaching software engineers on how to write better tests.
- Work with other SDET and test platform engineers in the department to build testing framework and practices for the department.
- Participate in post mortem of production issues to identify missing tests or new tests needed to validate the solution discussed.
- Keep up to date with the latest quality tools, practices and trends, and look for opportunities to introduce them to the team
- Have in-depth knowledge of the system on the code level as well as the higher level design and flow in order to challenge the team on improving quality in their work.
- Help and challenge product manager and team lead with the prioritization of tasks related to testing and improving quality of the product.
What we are looking for
- Strong Core Java Programming experience
- Knowledge of testing frameworks (JUnit, Mockito, Gatling JMock, Jest, python unittest or another).
- Experience working in an Agile development environment and CI/CD technologies.
- Experience developing and prioritising test cases for functional and nonfunctional requirements (eg. volume, security and performance).
- Capacity to define, recommend and use different test strategies (eg. unit tests, component tests, integration tests or system tests).
- Capacity to work closely with development teams to create test plans, test cases, test reports and test documentation.
- Experience promoting good testing practices as bug prevention strategies, testability principles and advanced quality techniques.
- Experience leading, coaching and growing quality mindset with engineering teams.
- Experience designing tools and libraries to improve testing.
- Previous experience maintaining and improving the quality of codebases.
- Understanding of quality assurance and/or software test cycle.
- Exposure to AWS/K8s technologies and web technologies.
- Experience debugging issues, reporting bugs and qualifying bug fixes.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.