Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com* and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Ocado Solutions is responsible for corporate partnerships, providing the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP") as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business. It is underpinned by Ocado's proven expertise and experience as a dedicated online grocer in the UK.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
*In February 2019, Ocado Group announced the creation of an online grocery retail joint venture with Marks & Spencer plc, one of the UK's leading food and clothing retailers.
What You Will Do
The Engineering Team Manager will manage the engineering shift activities at the Customer Fulfillment Center working closely with Inbound, Outbound and other support teams to optimize availability and performance of the facility, and its MHE automation.
As our Engineering Operations Team Leader, your day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Day to day supervision of shift engineers and technicians and maintenance shift members including prioritization and allocation of workload
- Working closely with inbound, outbound, and other support teams on a daily basis to ensure direction of labor, and planned engineering activities fully support operation.
- Be proactive in the development of team members, advise, lead and motivate team members, assess capability and identify and resolve training and skill requirements, be involved in disciplinary issues.
- Assessment of engineering team skills and assisting in upskilling and training of staff, including integration of first line maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Management and development of department processes; including shift handovers, briefs, and defect reporting/resolving
- Reporting and monitoring of data capture for automation and maintenance activities
- Ability to lead from the front, driving pace accuracy and standards. As part of this be competent and experienced as an Engineer in your own right, either mechanically or electrically, although must be familiar and competent with both streams of engineering to enable decision making.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience managing a shift team composed of multi-skilled engineering technicians.
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical and/or mechanical preferred.
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software.
- Experience at a management or supervisory level within an automated environment.
- Good organizational ability and the ability to plan and prioritize.
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem-solving ability and a practical approach.
- Comprehensive understanding of production, picking and storage MHE systems, gained from experience in an automated environment.
- Experience in an FMCG environment.
- Excellent verbal and written English & French skills
- Experience of working with computerized maintenance management systems.
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel, etc.
- Experience managing a shift size of 10+ employees, 5S establishment and ongoing management, and H&S investigation a substituent action.
This role will require flexibility due to us being a 24/7 operation and a shift pattern will be put in place that will require working days, nights and weekends.
This position is located in our automated warehouse facility in Pointe-Claire, QC
What We Offer
- Paid Vacation and Sick days; Paid personal time per year and 10 public holidays.
- External Health Care includes coinsurance at 90%, prescriptions, Paramedical and other services.
- Health Care Spending Account
- Vision Care available; Dental Care 100% basic, 80% preventative
- Pension Plan; 100% match up to 6% of earnings
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income Protection
- Life Insurance
We have revolutionized the online grocery world. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. With this being our first site in Canada, you will be part of our success in a new country, with opportunities to develop your career within a structured path, whether it be improving your technical skills and ability or progressing into management roles. So what are you waiting for?
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado Solutions values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.