“Ocado Technology, researching, designing, engineering the next generation of hardware & software solutions through disruptive innovation”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality. Our Mechanical Engineering team is looking for an accomplished Mechanical Design Engineer, who will be responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s technology systems, developed by our Development team, into manufacture. You would be key in determining the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, processes times, test procedures and test and assembly fixtures.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches; i .Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale; Imagine the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use; i. Imagine our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake; Imagine working on products that are in high demand for deployment across multiple large scale clients sites globally; i. Imagine the opportunity that making millions of components gives you to work on industry leading mass manufacturing methods.
The Grid stream has around 40 products in the portfolio, from site safety equipment to Totes and Grids . The future will include instrumentation and telemetry within our products, higher levels of automation and the continuous journey of improving and differentiating our product offerings. The Grid and Tote are core products with the OSP system and present some great engineering challenges. If you like challenges and you want to work in a fast paced, exciting company on innovative solutions to the problems that have never been solved, then imagine yourself in this role.
What will you be doing?
Our Projects team has a catalogue of almost 140 products and counting, and so are seeking a knowledgeable Project Lead to join their expanding group. As our Project Lead, you will be responsible for the delivery of projects within the grid stream and must meet the cost, timeline and quality requirements set by the business. The projects are technically challenging, fast paced and innovative.
- Generating stage gated development plans in order to manage the process through the planning, execution, control and closing stages (including defining project milestones and managing development programmes)
- Taking product business requirements and turning into technical requirements, ensuring resource required is sufficient to achieve the end goal
- Working across a talented pool of multi disciplined team members to design, build and test automation products that are critical to the success of OSP global roll out.
- Giving effective and engaging presentations on engineering topics to technical and non-technical stakeholders (up to and including Board level)
- Owning and managing the technical risk register
- Taking responsibility for project closure - ensuring that the product and associated documentation meet criteria for entry into the product catalogue
We’d love to hear from you if you have...
- Proven experience working on in house product development projects from inception to completion
- A strong understanding of technical disciplines relating to automation/mechanical/electrical hardware
- Superb negotiation and stakeholder management experience
- A good track record in system or technical design and delivery
- Experience in managing project budgets
- The ability to quantify or qualify project risk against business impact and take appropriate decisions
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level would be preferable
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.