Within Ocado Group sits Platform Implementation, whose mission is ‘to orchestrate the implementation of Ocado’s platforms globally’. This department focuses on the full programme management life cycle of the implementation of our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) - from pre-deal, through to the design, construction, installation, testing and ‘go-live’ phases (with all the process and portfolio management in between). This department is instrumental in ensuring we deliver these CFCs on time, to budget, and to the specific requirements of each client.
The CFC Solution Design team is responsible for delivering CFC concept and process designs that support the delivery of OSP products to Ocado’s clients, ensuring each CFC is operationally fit for purpose and tailored to each client’s specific requirements. The scope of the design includes:
- Identifying, agreeing and modelling business requirements and assumptions
- Developing, evaluating and agreeing both concept and detailed designs with stakeholders
- Developing, evaluating and agreeing new customer propositions and development of existing products alongside Technology Product Team
- Identifying and developing all business processes, equipment and automation requirements
We are now looking for a Senior Project Design Manager (SPDM) to join this growing team, to take responsibility for owning, developing and progressing a functional stream of Project Design Managers, Solution Design Managers and Solution Designers. The SPDM supports, guides and oversees CFC projects the team is managing on all design assumptions, modelling and generation of requirements. These projects cover the concept design of operational areas of the CFC (covering sizing, capacity and efficiency of the design), as well continuous improvement and future concept design projects to improve the operation of CFCs.
This is a senior role within the team and therefore alongside having directly relevant technical layout design experience, strong leadership and people management experience are also required in order to succeed in managing projects and teams successfully during this rapid period of company growth.
Please note - this role is based at our head office in Hatfield, with the occasional requirement to travel to sites in the UK/internationally (as per project requirements).
What will you be doing?
- CFC Design Projects:
- Leading the design of a CFC for Ocado or UK and international clients
- Gathering and agreeing the operational metrics, assumptions and business requirements for new CFCs, including determining the sizing, capacity and efficiency of the design
- Evaluating potential sites with high level ‘tile’ analysis and providing feedback and recommendations about their suitability
- Developing the operational concept layout for new the CFC based on both Ocado’s proprietary and externally sourced fulfilment solutions
- Project managing the design stream (including other designers assigned to the project) through the development cycle
- Ensuring both current operational best practice and opportunities for change and value are explored with detailed cost/benefit analysis of options
- Working with client and client’s professional team of architects, structural engineers, consultants etc. to ensure business and client’s requirements are fulfilled during concept design of the solution
- Solution Design Requirements:
- Developing and enhancing new solutions for CFC operational areas or manage other designers as they develop solutions
- Reviewing, iterating and agreeing designs with stakeholders
- Identifying and agreeing business requirements, business processes, equipment, IT and automation requirements
- Ensuring designs produced are safe, ergonomic, productive, cost effective and meet business requirements
- Developing options and paybacks to drive selection where required
- Other Requirements:
- Owning and supporting a team functional stream
- Full line management responsibility for a number of designers within the team - includes, appraisals, objective setting, team development, welfare, regular 1:1 catch ups, managing holidays and absence etc
- Updating Design Guides / Manuals, URs, process flow documents and methodology as required
- Working to and following all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies)
- Extensive solution design experience within logistics, e-fulfilment, manufacturing or similar FMCG environments
- Demonstrable previous experience completing site projects of a similar scope within logistics, e-fulfilment, manufacturing or similar FMCG environment
- Project management experience delivering logistics operational improvement and/or project delivery
- Experience of leading, managing and developing people/teams
- Relevant skills to drive both continuous improvement and step changes in solution design which may require ‘out of the box’ thinking
- An analytical mind-set along with strong numeracy skills
- Experience analysing and modelling data using Excel or similar tools
- Ability to plan, organise and communicate effectively at all levels both internally and externally, including excellent presentation skills
- Natural ability to lead and motivate teams
- Enjoy the challenge of creatively solving complex problems in a fast paced environment
- Proficient in typical office software products such as Excel, PowerPoint etc
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
We are only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and provide a free shuttle bus from Hatfield Station to the office!
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds.. all Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…