“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Who are we?
We build the systems that run Ocado’s warehouses, fulfilling hundreds of thousands of customer orders per week for multiple retailers. We use extensive automation (conveyors, cranes, robots and more) to operate at a scale and efficiency that is unrivalled in our industry. Our systems operate across multiple levels of the technology stack, from low-level container movements to high-level route planning, warehouse management and reporting, and we are constantly optimising our solutions to deliver world leading service, accuracy and efficiency.
We believe in the power of agile and focus on delivering value incrementally, using data to constantly collect feedback from our systems to guide our future direction. Our teams operate with the freedom to work as they want and to design and build the best solution to business challenges they can.
What we’d like you to do
To manage a group of Product Managers within the OSP CFC Infrastructure (PEC) product area, particularly the Core Services subdepartment, which comprises of data storage, logging and analysis. They will partner with the engineering teams and work with relevant stream stakeholders to define, realise and deliver great products for our clients. This role partners directly with the Development Manager sharing accountability for key decisions, achieving commitments to the delivery plan and providing constructive challenge to focus effort on the missions that are important for Ocado Technology.
You will have responsibility for
- Partners with a Development Manager and is the go-to person for a broader product area within OSP CFC Infrastructure (primarily for Core Services: data, logging and analytics)
- Responsible for building, developing and managing a high performing team of Product Managers within a stream, breaking down goals and delegating into clear plans
- Role models behaviours and actively applies Ocado Technology principles daily
- Provides product knowledge and a sound understanding of customer needs and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed
- Understands overall platform performance & how products support this including interdependencies with other systems
Insight & Innovation
- Actively looks for opportunities in creating incremental value when achieving set product goal commitments
- Develops a good understanding of trends, patterns and feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap with senior stakeholders, and other key stakeholders, whilst delivering client requirements
- Sets culture of pace and innovation, empowering teams to deliver fast to accelerate learning
- Sets expectations within Technology for pace of delivery required to achieve platform goals
- Support Product Managers to scope & prioritise stories to maximise business value using products
- Maintains teams focus on delivering value and a high quality product, balancing multiple requirements & schedules
- Facilitates the agile processes and removes obstacles in workflow wherever required
- Manages users and stakeholders effectively to gather feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap
- Builds strong relationships with Ocado stakeholders - establishing methods for getting user driven feedback via Solutions
- Creates alignment between Client, Design, and Engineering across multiple teams
- Collaborates with PMs/DMs in planning sessions, challenging appropriately to meet product goals
- Liaises with the stream Product function to share knowledge, define the realisation process and policies that govern it
- Champions and facilitates collaboration between the teams across multiple locations to ensure streamlined product delivery
- Recommends product improvements based on analysis drawn from data, systems and customer behaviour
- Evangelizes and embeds best practices in tracking, analysis, user experience design, and data-driven problem solving across multiple teams
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- You lead and role model the Ocado Technology behaviours daily
- You lead and manage others effectively, coaching and giving feedback to support development
- You build high performing product teams working alongside engineering to execute and deliver vision successfully
- You demonstrate a customer centric mindset and are data-driven in decision making
- You are highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI,
- Proven ability to plan, mange, track and deliver on commitments
- Ability to lead and direct your own and others work to achieve objectives
- Defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with UX design and Engineering peers
- Familiarity or experience with the development of Infrastructure systems, such as databases and analytics
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries and Fetch.
We also have monthly technology division socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.