Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
We are building the software which powers our next generation robotic picking and storage solution. This solution is a core component of our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) which are offered as part of the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP). OSP is being marketed to retailers globally as a world-class platform for grocery eCommerce and we are looking for Product Managers to help shape our automation solutions and keep them at the forefront of the logistics industry.
Our Automation Control teams are responsible for the software that directly controls all of the automated Material Handling Equipment (MHE) which surround the OSP hive. We are involved from concept right through support for the lifetime of a CFC; drawing on nearly twenty years of experience at the cutting edge of automation. In addition to control software development we integrate 3rd party systems into our warehouses and all automation with the OSP SCADA and Warehouse Control Systems. Whether automated bag placement, tracking and sequencing containers, or wirelessly keeping our operators safe - we make it happen!
You will have responsibility for
Leading & Influencing
- Partners with Engineering Team Lead(s) to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the development team
- Acts as the go-to person for the particular systems covered by the development team
- Establishes product alignment within Technology being the voice of the vision/strategy/priorities within the division
- Champions the product vision & ensures the plan is in line with vision and goals and continues to be fit for purpose throughout roadmap delivery
- Understands how their product fits in with the broader platform
- Provides product expertise based on a sound understanding of the platform and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed
Insight & Innovation
- Actively seeks out opportunities for incremental value in achieving product goal commitments
- Works with other PMs to continuously improve realisation processes and policies that govern it
- Monitors progress, looking for ways to improve the product & make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Leverages multiple sources of information to analyse user, system, and customer behaviour to diagnose and form clear recommendations
- Uses qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer/business needs and opportunities, collaborating with UX and data science where appropriate.
- Experiments quickly to validate hypotheses and find fit for purpose solutions
Stakeholders & Collaboration
- Applies strong emotional intelligence when working with other teams and departments to manage interdependencies between platforms and products effectively
- Builds strong relationships with team and stakeholders - establishing methods for obtaining product feedback
We’d like to hear from you if you have
- You contribute to being part of a high performing product teams, working alongside engineering
- You respond positively to new / changing business requirements and prioritise accordingly
- You are highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- You proactively solve problems, facilitating decision making processes and comfortable putting together recommendations based on insights drawn from data
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Ability to work in a team effectively and work autonomously as appropriate
- An understanding and appreciation for PLC software development and design
- Strong technical skills and an analytical mind set
- Demonstrable experience of working in an agile environment, ideally as a Product Owner or Product Manager, but possibly as an agile coach or a similar role
- Domain experience with automation or embedded systems, specifically PLC, DCS, factory automation, SCADA
- Ability to estimate the value of software features, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries and Fetch.
We also have monthly technology division socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.