What are we looking for?
Someone with good software skills, who also is an expert in network engineering or system administration. Typically, we look for about a 50/50 mix of people who have more of a software background and people who have more of a systems engineering background. We feel this would be a really good mix.
In a nutshell
As SRE you will have the opportunity to tackle the complex problems while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design. Your tasks will focus on operational assets of the software. You will be part of the team that uses software instead of people to run operations on site.
What will I be doing
- Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Ocado’s services.
- Solve problems relating to mission-critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automated response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Working in a cloud environment with instrumentation and automation in mind.
What I need to know
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in one or more of Python, NodeJS.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in cloud environments.
- Familiarity with running web services at scale; understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Knowledge of microservices architecture and container orchestration frameworks such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way.
- Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English and Polish
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.