“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people say about working for us.
What would I be doing?
You will be part of a team comprising of 5-8 engineers, a Team Lead and a Product Manager. You will contribute to the delivery of features from conception to production.
As you grow in your role, you will:
- Drive technical excellence within our teams
- Be an example for other developers to aspire to.
- You will be a practitioner of clean code, TDD and will contribute to the evolution of our Agile processes.
- You will understand the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strive for a high level of automation.
What does the team do
We are OSP Phoenix, we are building the software powering our next-generation fulfilment centres, which are core to the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
Our control systems ensure that stock is stored in the best areas of our automated warehouses such that we can pick customer orders optimally. This task involves algorithms and business logic splitting the work into component parts that can be assigned to our various people, stations and robotic systems for execution.
Within OSP Phoenix Zones, we have teams working with a range of technologies including Scala, Akka, Play, React, Redux, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kubernetes and more.
We support our staff in continuously learning through the internal and external training, attending conferences, regular tech talks over pizza and drinks, and meetups.
What we are looking for
- Programming skills, preferably in a JVM or functional language, e.g. Scala, Java, Haskell, etc.
- An understanding of underpinning techniques
- Ability to pick up new ideas and knowledge, putting it into practice quickly
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
Bonus points for
- Writing scalable, robust code for real-time, multi-threaded, highly available production applications
- Understanding of relational and NoSql databases
- Exposure to Cloud services (eg. AWS / GCP), Docker and Kubernetes
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com, Fetch and Fabled.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.