SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Creative Technologist is a key member of the Creative and Technology teams, focusing on idea generation, brand strategy, and the planning, design and development of interactive experiences. We are seeking a technology-focused superstar who has a solid understanding of the relationship between technology, strategy, design and digital media production coupled with demonstrable experience with relevant software and processes.
As a Creative Technologist, you may find yourself coming up with a novel online experience, deploying your practical coding skills, or prototyping a new UX wireframe for a client, and then using your creative know-how to oversee the building of the final product. You should be unafraid to take risks, explore new technologies and assert your own ideas while working comfortably with the rest of your team, other departments and clients.
Location: San Francisco or Los Angeles - candidates must be based in or willing to relocate to one of these cities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee creative technology workflow from idea generation, to early troubleshooting, to final implementation for assigned projects.
- Contributing to the development of big, brave creative ideas as part of RFP responses and concept development phases of won business.
- Lead brainstorm and testing phases for software/web development.
- Participate in concept meetings and collaborate with cross-functional teams to build extensive project timelines, outline deliverables and clarify next steps that best serve innovative creative technology executions.
- Build interactive prototypes and design system components with designers, technologists or other vendors or partners as needed. Deliver proof of concept to client whenever possible.
- Be a front-end ambassador and help educate and support our team members/clients on the best practices, approaches and guidelines for developing and implementing front-end UI patterns, interactions, tokens and components.
- Demonstrate a passion for delivering the best-in-class user experiences and care about the small details in colors, typography, spacing, reusable and scalable components.
- Add value to client pitches and presentations.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in interactive design, computer science, fine/media arts or a related field.
- 5+ years in software development in interactive/web/mobile-centric environments. Agency experience preferred.
- Advanced education degrees will be considered to supplement candidate’s work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- An online portfolio of work that demonstrates: Independent-thinking; DIY approaches and self-initiated project development; an interest in design and development tools; and examples of story and character-driven projects
- Curiosity, specifically about emerging tech. Desire to innovate.
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking capabilities that include crafting a strategic approach, developing user insights, and justifying technological decisions to meet project needs.
- Ability to effectively present ideas to both technical and non-technical individuals (internal, vendors, and clients)
- Project management skills and understanding of agency collaboration and workflow. Able to work well with producers, technologists, strategists, designers, motion graphics specialist, vendors, etc.
- Interest and experience in creating compelling digital experiences in the real world, such as in experiential marketing, events, retail, or exhibitions. Knowledge and experience building digital physical experiences (touchscreen interfaces, gestural tech, AR, VR, reactive environments, etc.).
- Solid grasp of UX/UI principles, passion for user journey, and knowledge of Sketch, Figma, Adobe XD (other software will be considered).
- Understanding of the tools of web and software development and an ability to get in the weeds and work with developers or other experts to effectively realize a creative vision, to include...
- Software developing (e.g., C++, Unity, iOS, Python)
- Strong understanding of mobile responsive design. Workflow involves code review, tests, source control and staging environments. Able to apply knowledge of good prototyping, testing and troubleshooting practices.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Experience planning and executing user research projects.
- Experience in implementing a design system across a range of platforms in an iterative software development environment.
- Strong work ethic and ability to thrive in and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to travel and work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends) as needed.