ON BOARD EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING
On Board Experiential is an award-winning, full-service experiential marketing agency that creates meaningful brand experiences throughout the world from our home offices and physical office locations in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York City. Our clients include: Nike, Facebook, Tesla, JPMorgan Chase, Instagram, Cheez-It, Activision, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day, and Salesforce (to name a few). Cool, cool, but what’s it like to work here? Event Marketer recognized OBE as one of the Best Places to Work in Events 2019, and we couldn’t agree more. The most important part of our business is our people, or “unicorn employees” as we call them. They are hardworking, brave and make magic happen on the regular. But under each majestic exterior, is a human deserving of a healthy work life balance. That’s why we believe in recovery days, happy hours, friendly (but always competitive) fitness challenges, company retreats and yearbooks, and open meetings to facilitate discussions that heal, inspire, and bring us closer. We are one big supportive family, and that is ultimately what keeps our superstars coming back every day
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Creative Technologist is a key member of the Creative and Technology teams, focusing on idea generation, brand strategy, and the planning, design and development of interactive experiences. We are seeking a technology-focused superstar who has a solid understanding of the relationship between technology, strategy, design and digital media production including prototyping, enhancing and elevating digital user-experiences.
As a Creative Technologist, you may find yourself coming up with a novel online experience, deploying your practical coding skills, or mocking-up a new UX wireframe for a client, and then using your creative know-how to oversee and produce the building of the final product or experience. You should be unafraid to take risks, explore new technologies and assert your own ideas while working comfortably with the rest of your team, other departments and clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee creative technology workflow from idea generation, to building system requirements, coding and prototyping, and seeing the creative vision through production.
- Bridge the gap between technical and non-technical teams
- Effectively project manage and facilitate field testing.
- Contribute to the development of big, brave creative ideas as part of RFP responses and concept development phases of won business.
- Lead brainstorm and testing phases for software/web development or other interactive solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in project management of creative tech projects to build extensive project timelines, outline deliverables and clarify next steps that best serve innovative creative technology executions and final product.
- Build interactive prototypes and design system components with designers, technologists or other vendors or partners as needed. Deliver proof of concept to client whenever possible.
- Be a front-end ambassador and help educate and support our team members/clients on the best practices, approaches and guidelines for developing and implementing front-end UI patterns, interactions, tokens and components.
- Apply strategic thinking in UX from outset of interactive projects to include target audience analysis, user testing and more. Work with dev partners, vendors or talent to ensure final user experience is ideal for project goals.
- Demonstrate a passion for delivering the best-in-class user experiences and care about the small details in colors, typography, spacing, reusable and scalable components.
- Add value to client pitches and presentations.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in interactive design, computer science, fine/media arts or a related field.
- 5+ years in software development (SDLC) in interactive/web/mobile-centric environments. Agency experience preferred.
- Advanced education degrees will be considered to supplement candidate’s work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- An online portfolio of work that demonstrates: independent-thinking; DIY approaches and self-initiated project development; an interest in design and development tools; and examples of story and character-driven projects.
- Curiosity, specifically about emerging tech. Desire to innovate. Hands on approach to problem-solving.
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking capabilities that include crafting a strategic approach, developing user insights, justifying technological decisions to meet project needs and executing a finished product with excellence
- Ability to effectively present ideas to both technical and non-technical individuals (internal, vendors, and clients).
- Project management skills and understanding of agency collaboration and workflow. Able to work well with producers, technologists, strategists, designers, motion graphics specialist, vendors, etc to accomplish project objects and push for innovation
- Interest and experience in creating compelling digital experiences in the real world, such as in experiential marketing, events, retail, or exhibitions. Knowledge and experience building digital physical experiences (touchscreen interfaces, gestural tech, AR, VR, reactive environments, etc.).
- Understanding of the tools of web and software design and development and an ability to get in the weeds and work with teams to effectively realize a creative vision, to include...
- Software developing (e.g., C++, Unity, iOS, Python)
- Collaborative Presentation Tools (Keynote, Google Slides, etc)
- Design / Rendering / UX/UI Software Proficiency a Plus (Adobe CC, Maya, Rhino, Unity, Unreal Engine, Sketch, Figma, Adobe XD, etc)
- IRL interactive components (sensors, robotics, etc)
- Strong understanding of mobile responsive design. Workflow involves code review, tests, source control and staging environments. Able to apply knowledge of good prototyping, testing and troubleshooting practices.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Experience planning and executing user research projects.
- Experience in implementing a design system across a range of platforms in an iterative software development environment.
- Strong work ethic and ability to thrive in and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to travel and work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends) as needed.