ON BOARD EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING
On Board Experiential is an award-winning, full-service experiential marketing agency that creates meaningful brand experiences throughout the world from our offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York City. Our clients include: Nike, Facebook, Tesla, JPMorgan Chase, Instagram, Cheez-It, Activision, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day, and Salesforce (to name a few). Cool, cool, but what’s it like to work here? Event Marketer recognized OBE as one of the Best Places to Work in Events 2017, and we couldn’t agree more. The most important part of our business is our people, or “unicorn employees” as we call them. They are hardworking, brave and make magic happen on the regular. But under each majestic exterior, is a human deserving of a healthy work life balance. That’s why we believe in WFHF (Work From Home Fridays) and BYPTWA (Bring Your Pet To Work Anydays), company retreats and corporate yearbooks, wellness discounts and grown-up field trips. We are one big supportive family, and that is ultimately what keeps our superstars coming back every day.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
We are looking for a Senior Production Manager (SPM) who has experience in producing experiential event activations and B2B events and brings a strong level of experience in a variety of areas to successfully produce both types of programs. Very strong organizational, communication, planning, managerial and client interfacing skills are a must. Strong experience in technical production, such as audio video, lighting, power and networking are preferred.
The SPM is responsible for all elements of production for each assigned project from start to finish Responsibilities will include management of all production related personnel including but not limited to; other producers, outside vendors, production assistants and production coordinators. Depending upon the size and complexity of the project/event, this may (and most likely will) involve running multiple projects/events simultaneously at various stages of activation.
This person is also responsible for program development, development of the overall staffing plan, managing, monitoring and maintaining the task timeline, managing multiple vendors, negotiating contracts, obtaining and managing staff and resources, budget development, management and tracking P/L, and the overall quality of projects. By working closely with internal and external account, creative and operations teams in a collaborative manner, this person is responsible for executing the approved production-specific Scope of Work in support of client goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist business development team in determining feasibility of projects and establishing production budgets for new business proposals (RFPs). Attend pitch meetings as needed.
- Serve as primary Production team contact throughout project with internal and external account teams.
- Work closely with Production department leads to provide technical expertise to both internal teams and clients.
- Participate in, and lead, project planning and development meetings and internal/external status meetings.
- Collaborate with VP Production in establishing the project plan and budget within the key client deliverable dates and agreed upon Scope of Work.
- Work closely with internal account and creative teams to ensure the high quality and smooth operation of overall production and that all key deliverables are met beyond the clients’ satisfaction.
- Establish and maintain best practices that meet client needs and provide continual improvement to our operations.
- Implement plans for staffing procedures, budget tracking, project timelines, critical paths, production schedules, Run of Show, meeting agendas, contingency and emergency actions, etc.
- Keep VP Production, internal account and creative teams, and other specific project teams, informed on a regular basis on any need for revisions to budgets and estimates to complete.
- Recruit, hire and manage production crews and staff.
- Identify outside vendors needed (depends on type of event), request bids, select vendors and negotiate and obtain signed contracts. Monitor performance of vendors.
- Manage and lead all crew and staff on site, including managing and controlling all Load Ins and Load Outs.
- Manage, mentor and motivate junior production staff.
- Submit all status reports, photo/digital documentation, and other evidence of production as required by Account team and Client personnel.
- Reconcile all production budgets and prepare post event analysis of production.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
- 5-7+ years of direct experience in producing/managing budgets for major marketing programs/events/activations within an experiential agency environment.
- Must have an extremely strong and diverse experience base that directly applies to this multi-facetted, high demand position.
- Very strong Vendor relationships and experience with the competitive bidding process.
- Experience in executing staffing procedures, budget tracking, project timelines, critical paths, production schedules, Run of Show, meeting agendas, contingency and emergency actions specifically for experiential events, B2B programs, large scale conferences and high-profile executive meetings is a plus.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Superior leadership and management skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to manage internal and external crews and staff
- Very strong client/customer service experience and focus.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong technical background with knowledge to execute tech focused events including tradeshows, keynotes, product launches, etc.
- Ability to multi-task, manage priorities and commitments, and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner both with internal teams, and with clients.
- Ability to manage projects events within budget.
- Excellent judgment with the ability to pro-actively identify issues/obstacles and effectively create solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as with account and creative teams.
- Extremely strong working knowledge of and experience with location permitting and insurance processes.
- Understanding of Union Labor laws and ability to manage within a budget without penalties
- Expertise in the areas of Security/Access Control, Branding, location scouting, Hotel Negotiations, Catering Registration and Transportation.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Strong work ethic and ability to thrive and enjoy a fast-paced dynamic work environment.
- Must be flexible and comfortable in working non-traditional hours as needed (some nights and weekends).
- Experience with Quip, Smartsheet, Google apps, Slack, Trello, Microsoft Teams or other project management tools is a plus.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% of the time.