SUMMARY OF POSITION
The position of Senior Production Director is a vital role within the OBE team. This individual will play a significant role within both the production and management aspects of the company. As a result, we are looking for someone who has proven experience within the areas outlined here as well as a tremendous drive to continue both their personal and their team’s professional development.
The Senior Production Director is responsible for executing and overseeing all elements of production for each assigned project from start to finish. Responsibilities will include management of all production related personnel including but not limited to; other producers, outside vendors, production assistants and production coordinators. Depending upon the size and complexity of the project, this may involve running multiple projects/events simultaneously at various stages of activation.
This person is responsible for personally executing projects as well as managing other producers under their direct supervision on their respective programs, throughout the entire project process: pitch phase, concept development phase, pre production phase, execution phase and wrap up.
The Senior Production Director will manage the Sausalito based production team. This includes, overseeing the team’s projects, clearly setting expectations related to level of execution, being a resource for the team at all times, providing oversight related to OBE’s policies and procedures, and supporting each team members personal and professional development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist business development team in determining feasibility of projects and establishing production budgets for new business proposals (RFPs). Attend pitch meetings as needed.
- Serve as primary Production team contact throughout all phases of the project process with internal and external cross-functional teams.
- Participate in, and lead, project planning and development meetings and internal/external status meetings.
- Work closely with internal cross-functional teams to ensure the high quality and smooth operation of all production related deliverables.
- Implement, maintain and enhance OBE standard operating procedures and best practices that meet project specific and company wide goals.
- Develop, implement and oversee plans for staffing procedures, budget tracking, project timelines, critical paths, production schedules, Run of Show, meeting agendas, contingency and emergency actions, etc…
- Keep VP Production, internal cross-functional teams, and specific project teams, informed on a regular basis regarding key project financials.
- Recruit, hire and manage production crews and staff. Including leveraging existing network of production freelancers and service providers.
- Identify outside vendor needs (depends on type of event), request bids, select vendors and negotiate and obtain signed contracts. Including implementing strong vendors and 3rd party service providers from existing network.
- Manage and lead all crew and staff on site, including managing and controlling all Load Ins and Load Outs.
- Manage, coach, mentor and motivate junior production staff.
- Full-closure and reconciliation of all production budgets.
- Prepare post event analysis or “after action” report of all projects.
- Lead Sausalito based production team.
- Oversee Sausalito based projects from a production side, ensuring projects are executed at the highest level and meet client expectations.
- Allocate production teams to all projects being operated out of our Sausalito office.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in marketing, business administration, or related field preferred.
- 7+ years direct experience in producing/managing / marketing programs/events/activations within an experiential agency environment.
- Strong and proven track record for managing small sized (6-12) team of full-time producers.
- Broad range of experience on projects of varying size. Small to large and even really small to really large. Both from a personnel and budget management standpoint.
- Extensive experience working with technical partners, fabricators, and multiple vendors for complex activations.
- Extremely strong organizational, planning, managerial and client interfacing skills.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have an extremely strong and diverse experience base that directly applies to this multi-facetted, high demand position.
- Superior leadership, coaching and management skills, as well as interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to manage internal and external crews and staff.
- Very strong client relations history.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to multi-task, manage priorities and commitments, and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner both internally, and with clients.
- Proven ability to manage projects/events within budget.
- Excellent judgment with the ability to pro-actively identify issues/obstacles and effectively create solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as with cross-functional teams.
- Extremely strong working knowledge of and experience with contract processes, location permitting and insurance processes.
- Very strong and proven vendor, 3rd Party Service Provider relationships.
- Extremely strong work ethic and ability to thrive and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic, on demand type work environment.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Excellent computer skills that include Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint and Access), smartsheet, Google Docs, Sharepoint, Adobe Suite, Trello, Slack or other project management platforms.
- Must be flexible, and comfortable, in working non-traditional hours as needed (some nights and weekends).