OANDA is looking for a passionate DBA Manager to lead a team of talented engineers to apply database development principles and practices to solve difficult operations problems. As an DBA Manager, you will be leading the relationship with our development teams, acting as the champion for reliability best-practices including observability, automation, high-availability, fault tolerance, and data lifecycle ownership. The perfect candidate for this role has a strong data-driven approach improving the performance of our products in on-premise and cloud environments.
- Champion a culture of shared data ownership across Production Engineering and Software Development teams into your passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation, and lead the adoption of automation, infrastructure as code, and configuration management tools in data and database management
- Lead modernization initiatives to push data warehouse towards best-in-class resilient distributed solution
- Contribute to approval process for database specifications to ensure all agreed standards and protocols are followed and data integrity is preserved
- Recommend technical developments to improve quality of the company applications software and supporting infrastructure to better meet company needs
- Conduct feasibility study and install and test complex databases and associated products to ensure they are suitable for use and meet company requirements
- Implement and provide input on the design of security measures to ensure required security standards; monitor database performance to notify security experts of any problems
- Communicate the local action plan; explain how this relates to the function's strategy and action plan and the broader organization's mission and vision; motivate people to achieve local business goals
- Manage and report on team performance; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports team members and hold them accountable for achieving these, taking appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of team / personal objectives.
- Deploy a team of database engineers to development teams to champion best practices and to ensure our products are designed for reliability and high availability
- Collaborate with product managers and business stakeholders to set and maintain Service level Objectives (SLOs) and metrics that are representative of our customer experience
- Develop, manage and support a highly-skilled technical team in our offices around the globe (we can run follow-the-sun rotations!). Set priorities, mentor, direct professional growth, and lead implementation of new technologies and methodologies
- Attend and contribute to continuing education, conferences, and seminars to stay current with industry and community trends
- Enable the organization to make data-driven decisions by pushing monitoring, instrumentation, and observability as core tenets of our development practice.
- Set a great example and encourage others to espouse the culture and values of the company to other internal teams and the general public
- Must have IBM Db2 experience
- Experience as a dedicated technical people leader
- Experience as an individual contributor in a related role: DBA, engineering, development, operations, site reliability engineering, or related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage large cross-functional projects, including establishment of goals (both financial and non-financial), scope, and strategy; ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement strategic initiatives
- The best candidates will have both cloud-native experience, and strong on-premise, bare metal expertise