At Nylas, our mission is to empower the world to communicate with context and insight. Our hosted sync platform and APIs enable developers to quickly integrate their apps with email, contacts, and calendar across all providers(including Exchange).
We are changing the way companies and developers innovate with email and messaging. Customers like Pipedrive, Salesloft, and Lever use our cloud messaging APIs to power their products and accelerate their ability to innovate.
Nylas has raised over $30M from Spark Capital, 8VC, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, SV Angel and more. Our HQ is in San Francisco with offices in New York, Denver, and several of us work remotely. Members have previously worked at Dropbox, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and VMware.
We're looking for an experienced engineering manager who will help us set up operations in Toronto. You are expected to attract, manage and retain a team of engineers in Toronto and collaborate with your peers and engineers distributed globally. You will own our developer experience and be accountable to deliver the best experience in terms of first-time user experience, SDK and self-service functions.
In this role, you will manage a team of 6 engineers initially, and we will scale up the team as the product and execution roadmap clarifies with you and your team's output. The Engineering Director/Manager will report directly to the VP of Engineering. You will work alongside engineering managers responsible for our other feature teams, Platform and Technical Operations.
- Communicate priorities clearly to engineers, and act as a liaison with business org to set clear and realistic expectations, and allow engineers to come up with ways to meet priorities
- Provide support to engineers in terms of making sure they have what they need to be productive and successful. This might mean:
- Setting up mentorship
- Making sure engineers are working on things that interest and motivates them
- Making sure engineers are growing and meeting their professional goals
- Providing feedback in a kind, direct, and actionable manner so engineers are aware of areas they can improve on
- Should make sure engineers feel valued and supported, and that their contributions are valuable, and that they are happy
- Hiring, disciplinary actions, and budget planning
- Always looking for ways to optimize and improve individual and team processes
- Be hands on in execution, including architecture design, code review and even contribute code when time permits
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of 6 or more engineers
- Excellent communicator
- Agile development experience
- Worked with a major Cloud provider such as AWS
- Can still develop
- Previously worked as an IC in a startup environment
- Experience building high-performance distributed systems
- AI/ML and big data experience