At Nylas, our mission is to empower the world to communicate with context and insight. Our hosted sync platform and APIs enable developers to quickly integrate their apps with email, contacts, and calendar across all providers (including Exchange).
We are changing the way companies and developers innovate with e-mail and messaging. Customers like Pipedrive, Hyundai, and Lever use our cloud messaging APIs to power their products and accelerate their ability to innovate.
Nylas has raised over $30M from Spark Capital, 8VC, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, SV Angel and more. We have offices in San Francisco and New York, and several of us work remotely. Our HQ is in San Francisco and members have previously worked at Dropbox, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and VMware.
What We're Looking For:
We’re looking for Site Reliability Engineers to join our team to help build and scale the infrastructure our platform runs on and the tools our developers need to get work done. Our SRE team is responsible for the infrastructure layer of our API platform—the base operating system (including security), CI/CD & deployment tools, monitoring and observability tools, and our horizontally sharded data storage layer which stores tens of terabytes of data. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year.
At Nylas,“DevOps” is a part of our engineering culture, not a role we’re looking to fill. Our development team shares the pager with operations and makes their own deploys. We’re always looking for ways in which we can have specialists who delight in really knowing different parts of systems but still avoid being siloed away.
We keep our code and infrastructure automation in the same repo, and you’ll be empowered to make application changes necessary for scaling and reliability in collaboration with our development team. Our stack includes Python, MySQL, Redis, AWS, Debian GNU/Linux.
- You have 2 - 5 years of production engineering experience
- You value communication and empathy as much as technical prowess
- You can navigate a Linux command line
- You have experience automating systems using any modern configuration management system (Chef, Ansible, Puppet)
- You have experience running services on a cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- You’re excited to create a modern, scalable infrastructure and automate away drudgery
Nice to Have
- Experience with monitoring systems, databases, or service orchestration using terraform (but don’t worry, it’s OK to learn this stuff on the job if you don't know it already)
- Competitive Pay
- Meaningful Equity
- Medical, Vision, and Dental benefits for you and your family (including One Medical membership)
- 401k, FSA, HSA, Commuter benefits
- $100 Health and Wellness Benefit
- $1k yearly Education & Development benefit
- Catered lunch & Unlimited snacks
- Gym membership
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited vacation (mandatory 2 week consecutive vacation once per year)
- 12 weeks caregiver leave
- Flexible work hours
Nylas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and diversity of all kinds is important to us.
Our team is roughly equal by identified gender (including engineering) and focuses on creating an inclusive environment for all people. We welcome people from all different backgrounds and currently employ startup founders, college graduates from all over the country and the world, coding academy graduates and those with no degrees at all.
We are actively and regularly working with the entire team to shape our culture in a conscious way to our ideal of empowerment, transparency, and kindness.