Nurx is looking for a Compliance and Privacy Officer to lead its Compliance Program. You will be an integral part of the Nurx Law Department, and will support the corporate and commercial compliance programs and other operations of the company. You will partner with colleagues at all levels and work cross-functionally to support the company through updating, scaling, managing, overseeing, and developing strategies for Nurx and its affiliates’ comprehensive compliance programs. The ideal candidate for this position will be knowledgeable about healthcare regulations, confident and proactive in his or her approach, capable of working both collaboratively and autonomously, comfortable influencing business partners and effective at making informed decisions.
Your responsibilities will include being engaged in day-to-day operations to ensure appropriate policy development, implementation and adherence, providing staff education, helping investigate alleged regulatory and policy non-compliance, and conducting compliance monitoring and auditing.
What you’ll do:
- Maintain a current working knowledge of federal and state regulations/policies relevant to healthcare organizations, including laws relating to Fraud and Abuse, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA, telemedicine statutes, pharmacy related laws and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and proactively monitor and interpret existing and proposed legislation and regulations.
- Manage all required breach determination and notification processes under HIPAA and applicable state breach rules and requirements; ensure compliance with Business Associate Agreement privacy requirements and responsibilities.
- Identify areas of risk requiring the establishment or enhancement of internal controls, policies and procedures, products and/or services, and training associated with any compliance obligations.
- Be responsible for overseeing and ensuring implementation of required operational changes to align with governing laws or regulations.
- Develop, update, and implement compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. These policies and procedures provide regulatory and legal standards and recommendations for use in day-to-day operations.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of compliance training related to the corporate compliance program(s), and conduct any necessary training.
- Review and investigate (or direct to/assist appropriate company personnel with investigation and resolution of) compliance inquires, reports, complaints, and grievances; implement the appropriate level of corrective actions; follow up on all resolutions with the utmost attention to accurate communication; and coordinate responses on behalf of the organization for compliance issues.
- Conduct or direct periodic audits to assess regulatory compliance with company policies, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Propose recommendations and work with functional areas to determine corrective action plans, monitor implementation of such action plans and maintain appropriate documentation of findings and action taken.
- Manage or assist with promotional review of marketing communications.
- Serve along with the Law Department as a point of contact in responding to requests made by state and federal regulatory agencies such as Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), and Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
- Provide reports on a regular basis and, as directed or requested, keep the corporate Compliance Committee and senior management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Ensure proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate or required.
A bit about you:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 5-10 years in a leadership capacity in a compliance role.
- Experience with regulatory healthcare and privacy laws.
- Demonstrated knowledge of government regulations as they relate to healthcare regulatory laws such as Fraud and Abuse statutes, Stark laws, privacy, consumer protection, telemedicine, payor arrangements and health provider/pharmacy laws.
- Master’s degree.
- Previous experience as a lawyer.
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) designation.
At Nurx, we’re creating a future where healthcare is easily accessible and affordable for everyone and building software that empowers people to be in control of decisions about their own health.
Our platform enables doctors to give patients personalized care at lower costs and prescriptions delivered straight to their door. We are committed to disrupting the healthcare system and increasing access to healthcare for millions across the country, starting with birth control, PrEP, and HPV screens.
And we need you to help us continue to make this happen.
- Talented and collaborative team who will both support and challenge you.
- Market competitive salary and equity.
- Medical, dental, commuter, and wellness benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it!).
This position is full-time and based in San Francisco, CA but will require some travel to both New York and Florida.