Nurx is looking for people who want to be on the front lines collaborating with teams across Nurx, to support new and ongoing products, safely and securely build and manage services, and ensure maximum uptime and continuous service. You’ll own and support many parts of the company’s core production infrastructure and have a direct impact on systems design and enhancements. Our team builds, owns, and operates services such as Amazon Web Services, Ansible, databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL), Debian, DNS, Ember.js, LDAP, Monitoring (Grafana, Prometheus), Node.js, Splunk, and Web Servers (Apache, NGINX).
You enjoy automation, ops, and sysadmin work, and are interested in work on an ops-focused development team, adopting best practices and high-quality solutions to eliminate risks and ensure reliability above all else. You understand that Technical Operations is an always-available always-up mission, you are curious about how things work and when things break you want to learn so you can help fix anything. You want to be part of an environment where people are kind, and you and your teammates empower each other to become the best versions of yourselves.
What you'll do:
- Contribute ideas, tools, and processes to help us move reliably faster and continue innovating.
- Work cross-functionally to drive technical projects and architectural solutions from start to finish.
- Research and learn new technologies, and be part of vendor discussions and product decisions.
- Work on multiple different areas: architecture reviews, automation, adoption and advocacy of best practices, capacity planning, coding, continuous integration and delivery, documentation, incident response, monitoring and alerting, performance tuning, reliability and scalability, security, servers and systems provisioning, tooling, and troubleshooting.
- Leverage automation mechanisms to scale systems without compromising reliability, stability, or velocity. Drive scripting and automation to develop solutions to common problems. Run and automate service migrations and scaling. Identify and drive opportunities to improve automation for the company; scope and create automation for deployment, management, and visibility of our services.
- Design, build, implement, maintain, and support a growing number of Core Infrastructure Services and Systems, and understand how those complex systems operate. Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack and take change on deployment fixes.
- Partner with development teams throughout the organization to shape the architecture and operation of products and services to enhance reliability, performance, efficiency, and scalability. Assist other teams to achieve their goals by making it easy to integrate, use, and leverage infrastructure resources.
- Create and drive adoption of best practices and standardization across multiple disciplines and services for a range of technical solutions, especially on accountability, developer efficiency, self-service, testing, and security.
- Proactively identify, triage, monitor, prevent, and patch security issues and vulnerabilities across all layers of our stack. Create tools for auditing and security, request tracing and performance analysis. Make assessments of servers and networks against exploitation. Test systems, networks, and applications to identify weaknesses. Architect and design secure cloud infrastructures and networks.
- Participate in an on-call rotation that includes night and weekend shifts, and be able to investigate and resolve production issues raised during those times.
A bit about you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or related field/ work experience.
- 3+ years of experience with GNU/Linux environments in a Systems Administration, Sys Eng, DevOps, Production Engineering or SRE role, demonstrating ability to diagnose technical problems, automate tasks, and prioritize work independently.
- Good understanding of Operating Systems concepts and GNU/Linux fundamentals, networking fundamentals, equipment, protocols, IP addresses and subnetting, routing, VLANs, and CDN/SDN.
- Experience in at least one programming language (e.g. Go, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, Rust, Shell etc) to solve technical problems, and knowledge of software engineering best practices such as testing, CI/CD, source control management and version control systems.
- Passion for solving problems using Free and Open Source Software, and the drive to combine a wide variety of technologies and cloud services to build solutions.
- Experience with deployment, configuration, monitoring, and maintenance of various systems (bug trackers, code repositories, databases, distributed file systems, DNS, email, SSH, and web servers).
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure Providers, configuration management tools and automation frameworks, infrastructure management, and monitoring methodologies, principles and tools.
- Experience working with mission critical and sensitive systems, adopting a systematic and adaptable problem-solving approach.
- Experience building and maintaining Large Scale Internet Facing Production-Grade Systems and technologies, including multi-tier architectures and performance tuning.
- Operational support experience, knowing how to handle incidents, coordinate investigation and resolutions.
- Experience writing code in Go or Python.
- Solid understanding and strong interest in systems and application design, including the operational trade-offs of various designs.
- DBA experience, especially with PostgreSQL.
- Experience with our specific technologies: Ansible, Apache HTTPD, AWS, Ember.js, Git, Grafana, Node.js, Phabricator, PostgreSQL, Prometheus, Redis, Splunk.
- HIPAA compliance experience, or exposure to similar compliance and security rules.
*These are not required but would also be valuable characteristics.
About our Infrastructure Team:
It is on its early stages, and consists of hybrid systems and software engineers who own and manage a portfolio of technologies, working to build tools, operate services, and automate processes. Our mission is to reduce risk, improve infrastructure effectiveness and reliability, and increase efficiency for all core services used by engineers at Nurx. We iterate quickly, even when solving ambiguous problems, and while preserving a strong commitment to quality. Simplicity and pragmatism are the primary aspects of our solutions, and we strive to ensure they are highly available, incredibly performant, and seamlessly scalable. We work closely with the engineering teams to build resilient systems and advocating best practices for sensible and scalable designs and implementations.
At Nurx, we’re creating a future where healthcare is easily accessible and affordable for everyone and building software that empowers people to be in control of decisions about their own health.
Our platform enables doctors to give patients personalized care at lower costs and prescriptions delivered straight to their door. We are committed to disrupting the healthcare system and increasing access to healthcare for millions across the country, starting with birth control and PrEP.
And we need you to help us continue to make this happen.
- Talented and collaborative team who will both support and challenge you.
- Market competitive salary and equity.
- Medical, dental, commuter, wellness, and engineering technology benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it!).
This position is full-time and based in San Francisco.