We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced drug discovery scientist to lead our in vitro discovery pharmacology group at Nurix. As leader of this group you will work collaboratively with your peers across Nurix’s discovery platform, including Protein Sciences, DNA Encoded Chemistry and Screening, Medicinal Chemistry, Cellular Biology, and in vivo Pharmacology to identify, characterize and advance novel small molecule binders and inhibitors directed against a range of therapeutic targets. The successful candidate will have deep expertise in the design, development & execution of a variety of biophysical and biochemical assays for both classic as well as difficult to drug targets. A keen sense of curiosity, broad scientific interests, and critical experimental rigor are key to this role.
- Responsible for leading a multifunction, internal team of 10-15 scientists focused on the characterization of small molecule ligands using a variety of high throughput and precision structural, biophysical, and biochemical methodologies.
- Contribute to the design and development of target profiling cascades for the characterization of protein ligand interactions for therapeutic targets across a wide range of protein families and functions for:
- Qualification of target proteins for DNA encoded library screens
- Hit qualification and prioritization for follow up assays and chemistry
- Elucidation of mechanisms of action and target modulation by hit compounds
- Advancement of lead molecules for heterobifunctional degrader synthesis
- Manage prioritization of the profiling activities within a matrixed organization, supporting multiple internal and external collaboration projects simultaneously
- Communicate scientific results to internal and external stakeholders
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Biophysics or related field with 10+ years of post-degree experience
- Expertise in broad range of biochemical, structural and biophysical techniques for assessing protein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions
- Experience with high throughput biophysical hit qualification techniques (AS-MS, SPR, etc.)
- Demonstrated track record of successfully applying biochemical and biophysical characterization to the advancement of chemical matter through SAR improvement campaigns
- A track record of leading multiple functions and strong desire to grow and develop the careers of team members.
- Experience with drug discovery project leadership is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Aligned to Nurix’s culture and values; team-oriented and highly collaborative with a hands-on approach
Nurix Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of small molecule therapies designed to modulate cellular protein levels as a novel treatment approach for cancer and immune disorders. Leveraging Nurix’s extensive expertise in E3 ligases together with its proprietary DNA-encoded libraries, Nurix has built DELigase, an integrated discovery platform to identify and advance novel drug candidates targeting E3 ligases, a broad class of enzymes that can modulate proteins within the cell. Nurix’s drug discovery approach is to either harness or inhibit the natural function of E3 ligases within the ubiquitin proteasome system to selectively decrease or increase cellular protein levels.