At Nuna, our mission is to make high-quality healthcare affordable for everyone. We are dedicated to tackling one of our nation’s biggest problems with ingenuity, creativity, and a keen moral compass.
Nuna is committed to simple principles: a rigorous understanding of data, modern technology, and most importantly, compassion and care for our fellow human. We want to know what really works, what doesn't—and why.
Nuna partners with healthcare payers, including government agencies and health plans, to turn data into learnings and information into meaning.
At Nuna Engineering, we build so that everyone can use, learn, and act. Our technology enables data scientists, analysts, benefits officers, and policymakers to understand healthcare data while ensuring its integrity, security and privacy. Our work runs the gamut, from joining multiple streams of messy real-world data to building queryable data warehouses to constructing visualizations and dashboards that provide actionable insight. We build systems that are auditable, as automated as possible, accurately represent the underlying data, and, perhaps most importantly, responsive to our end users' needs. We strive for a creative, collaborative engineering environment that implements standard methodologies for peer review, readability, maintainability, and security of the code base and infrastructure.
The Government Services team is responsible for expanding upon our existing work with federally funded healthcare programs (like Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s Administration, etc). This work is critical to our mission of making healthcare more accessible and valuable to all people. The team works with detailed data at a massive scale to enable analysis and insights to be derived from processing.
The Nuna product engineering team is a diverse organization of engineers who are concerned about the different layers that make up our stack: ingestion tools, pipeline orchestration, data storage, and web front ends. The product is both an analysis pipeline and the integrations and tools that allow for many different users to have meaningful access and derive insights from the data that we have processed and made available.
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
- Provide architectural guidance and supervision to projects within a team.
- Be a mentor to junior and mid-level engineers.
- Carry out high quality coding standards and practices via reviews and demonstrate this in their own work.
- Have a bias to action.
- Be able to help others break down large team goals into specific and manageable tasks.
- Be involved and supportive of agile sprint model of development, helping to carry out the practice and the discipline.
- Able to work efficiently and actively across engineering teams to enable us to deliver on our goals of loosely coupled, adaptable, scalable solutions.
- Have a good understanding of where their project fits into the larger goals for engineering and ability to adapt their work so that the priorities of the systems they are creating match those of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with remote teams
- Handle ambiguity well and act with autonomy
- 5+ years of experience in this or a related field
- Technology-agnostic and pragmatic engineering sensibility, focused on solving key problems, not the tools
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals (such as debugging or object oriented design) and software engineering processes (such as agile software development)
- Demonstrated ability to understand automated testing concepts and consistently apply those concepts
- Working experience with distributed computing infrastructure (Hadoop, Spark, Crunch, etc)
- Knowledge of database fundamentals for large scale, analysis-heavy databases
- Experience designing and building loosely coupled, adaptable, scalable systems
- Familiarity with Django web applications or similar web frameworks
- Experience building tools for data analysis or data analysis platforms
- Experience providing technical guidance to enterprise and/or government clients
Technologies Used at Nuna:
- Spark, Crunch, and Hadoop
- Linux, OS X, & Windows
- AWS; including EC2, EBS, RedShift, EMR, ELB, SNS, RDS, CloudFormation, and more
Nuna is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics and/or veteran status.