Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationships with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia, Nubank is today one of the largest digital banking platforms and technology-leading companies in the world.
Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States), and Berlin (Germany). It was founded in 2013 in Sao Paulo, by Colombian David Vélez, and cofounded by Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. For more information, visit www.nubank.com.br.
This position will support all legal, corporate and regulatory issues related to Nu Colombia’s business. The Sr Lawyer will assist in maintaining legal oversight for Nu Colombia’s legal entity and will help enable business growth while serving as a gatekeeper to prevent against legal, regulatory and reputational harm. We’re looking for a leader and multiplier who will provide legal advice; collaborate with the business to understand legal needs, requirements and issues; source legal services internally and externally; and provide legal support on special projects.
As a Sr Lawyer, you're expected to:
- Support the primary Legal Advisor with all Colombia-related matters
- Analyse risk comprehensively, taking into account such things as the legal, consumer, and reputational impact of plans and decisions
- Ensure compliance with all Colombian laws, regulations and internal requirements
- Understand local, regional and business unit operational structure and advice on legal risks; coordinate with internal stakeholders as appropriate and ensure legal our entity are compliant with applicable laws and regulations
- Handle regulatory filings (registrations, authorizations, new products, etc.)
- Analyse Colombian law, proposed legislation or regulations that may influence Nu Colombia’s operations.
- Provide legal advice to underwriting, client markets and claims
- Assist business units in understanding and evaluating proposed laws and regulations and political context
- Oversee the development of market conduct policies
- Support development procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements as well as Nu Colombia’s internal guidelines
We’re looking for an experienced Lawyer who has:
- Proven track record of experience with Colombian regulation and law.
- Proven experience in the financial services industry
- Proven track record in legal core activities and knowledge of the Colombian market, and consumer finance
- Great relationship builder with the ability to establish trust and credibility with leaders, peers, and external regulators
- Outstanding communication skills; ability to communicate concisely and effectively across all levels of the organization
- An ability to deliver despite ambiguity and changing expectations. You see that there's almost always more than one way to do something well
- Ability to deal with unexpected situations with wise decisions
- A 'can-do' approach to work, always looking for new ways to adapt traditional practices in a new and challenging way
- A great prioritizer profile that thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Fluent or native Spanish and English
The position is based in Bogotá, Colombia
- 15 days paid vacations per year.
- Life insurance.
- Health insurance.
- NuLanguage Program
- NuCare Program
- Extended Parental Leave
Diversity and Inclusion at Nu
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.