Tackling the complex banking system to empower people in one of the most bureaucratic markets in the world seems like a crazy idea, right? But that's why, how, and where Nubank was born. We fight complexity through our transparent and straightforward products and experiences: a no-fee credit card, a rewards program, a lending platform, and a digital savings account. In a nutshell, we are the most innovative tech company in Latin America, and we are obsessed with building financial services and products that make our customers love us fanatically. With over 40 million customers and $2 billion raised in investment rounds, we are the fastest growing digital bank in the world, with offices in Brazil, Colombia, Germany, Mexico, the US, and Argentina. And it's still only Day One for us!
At Nubank, we aim to empower our customers to take control of their financial lives. The Data Science team develops models and leverages its expertise to provide the best experience and products, using statistics, Artificial Intelligence, and lots of creativity to predict our customers' behaviors. Our team strives for cutting edge model development techniques, from Machine Learning to Reinforcement Learning and beyond. We're partnering with business and technology to make the speed of thought decisions possible.
As a chapter, we identified a set of principles that guide behaviors we admire in each other and we pursue as a team:
- Diverse ensembles don't overfit;
- We reinforce each other's learning;
- Mind the person behind the data point;
- We share the same objective function;
- We trust our confidence interval;
- Pursue global maxima.
How We Work
- Create thousands of new predictive variables using your intuition, sociological insight and automation techniques;
- Discover and evaluate the usefulness of new data sources;
- Automate the creation of hundreds of different machine learning models;
- Find the most best audience for our products;
- Underwrite and assign client profile to applicants;
- Thwart identity theft and credit card transaction fraud;
At Nubank we don't shy away from using the latest and greatest machine learning algorithms and techniques; in fact, we encourage them. We have a rich dataset with natural language text, images, graphs, and much more, as well as more traditional sources of financial data. We also have an almost endless set of models to build, including everything from credit scoring to text tagging.
You will fit well if you:
- Are able to build modern machine learning models using Python;
- Have experience integrating models into data pipelines and decision-making infrastructures using Scala and Spark;
- Are curious and always looking for ways to improve what has been done;
- Have solid knowledge gathering and cleaning data to make analysis and models;
- Have an excellent ability to interact with a multifunction and multidisciplinary team;
- Are a fast learner who looks forward to work in a fast pace environment;
- Advocate for a data-driven culture;
- Are able to effectively communicate in English.
How We Work
We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that can make their own decision without unnecessary centralization, that’s why we work in an agile methodology and are organized in several squads across the company. We know that executing is the key to being able to optimize processes and to reach success, so that’s what we build our work model around.
Our team strives for cutting edge model development practices, which currently includes a variety of different technologies. While we value candidates that are familiar with the tools we use here, we are also confident that Data Scientists with good knowledge of other technologies and that want to join Nubank will be able to learn from our team.
- Competitive compensation package, including opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- 10 business days of paid vacation + 5 Nubank extra days
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to have a product for everyone, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of Nu recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.