Tackling the complex banking system to empower people in one of the world's most bureaucratic markets seems like a crazy idea, right? But that's why, how, and where Nubank was born. We fight complexity through our transparent and straightforward products and experiences: a no-fee credit card, a rewards program, a lending platform, and a digital savings account. In a nutshell, we are the most innovative tech company in Latin America, and we are obsessed with building financial services and products that make our customers love us fanatically. With over 34 million customers and $1.2 billion raised in investment rounds, we are the fastest growing digital bank in the world, with offices in Brazil, Germany, Mexico, and Argentina. And it's still only Day One for us!
Engineering at Nubank
We strive for state-of-the-art software development practices, that currently includes a variety of technologies. While we value candidates that are familiar with them, we are also confident that software engineers who are interested in joining Nubank will be able to learn from our team.
- Horizontally scalable microservices written mostly in Clojure, using Finagle and leveraging upon functional programming techniques and hexagonal architecture
- High throughput jobs and inter-service communication using Kafka
- Continuous Integration and Deployment into AWS
- Storing data in Datomic and DynamoDB
- Monitoring and observability with Prometheus
- Running as much as possible in Kubernetes
We are a process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and eschew coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
You can read more about it in our engineering blog and get some insights into how we work.
As a manager in Engineering, you'll be expected to
- Build or scale up one or more software engineering teams
- Foster a culture of teamwork, feedback and continuous improvement
- Conduct effective 1:1s, team meetings and rituals
- Manage individuals and managers, enabling them to be high performers and support others
- Deliver distributed systems at scale
- Align stakeholders around team’s vision, goals, and metrics
- Reason about software architecture design decisions
- Look and implement improvements in the way we work and organize
Once here, you will
- Coach and mentor engineers and managers alike, supporting their growth and performance inside the teams they are part of
- Facilitate continuous improvement of team’s processes
- Ensure the team follows good development processes, is aligned internally and with stakeholders, and consistently delivers quality software
- Ensure the team maintains a high level of operational excellence
- Actively drive and improve recruitment
- Foster psychological safety and facilitate conflict resolution and performance issues
We are looking for a professional who has
- Solid experience leading Engineering teams, ideally with a background as a software engineer
- Experience being accountable for people management, having exposure to performance assessment, hiring, supporting career growth, etc.
- Experience leading agile teams, being familiar with the most relevant ceremonies, metrics and processes
- A good level of technical understanding, being able to take part in architecture discussions with Engineers and to translate complex, technical projects and concepts for non-engineers.
- Health and life insurance
- Vacations of 15 workdays
- Yearly performance-based bonus in Restricted Stock Units
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Physical location amenities
- Food card
Diversity and Inclusion at Nubank
We want to have a product for everyone, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or background. We are proud to say that 30% of Nubanker recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team comprises women in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is an essential part of our culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow, and share ideas.