Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationships with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia, Nubank is today one of the largest digital banking platforms and technology-leading companies in the world.
Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States), and Berlin (Germany). It was founded in 2013 in Sao Paulo, by Colombian David Vélez, and cofounded by Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. For more information, visit www.nubank.com.br.
About the Berlin team
Nubank’s Berlin office hosts the data infrastructure platform team. We’ve built a self-service data processing platform from scratch that empowers everyone in our company to build, process, and query datasets that help push forward their work. Our main users include data analysts, data scientists, business analysts, backend, and data engineers. The team is focused on building well thought out and documented user APIs, backed by scalable data ingestion, processing, and serving systems. We make heavy use of the standard Nubank tech suite (Clojure et. al.), but since we are responsible for the data processing pipeline, you’ll also find Scala, Spark, Mesos, Aurora, Airflow. You will also be in touch with DynamoDB, Amazon Aurora, and Datomic for databases, Tekton CI/CD, monitoring with Prometheus and Splunk, and asynchronous communication using Kafka.
What are some examples of problems a Systems Engineer might solve?
Here at Nubank we treat infrastructure and operations as Software Engineering problems, therefore it's expected of a Systems Engineer to have solid programming skills coupled with strong expertise on networks and operating systems. We consistently work with new technologies and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of pre-existing comfort zones.
Some of the problems you'll encounter:
- Manage dozens of Mesos clusters processing hundreds of TBs of data with Spark
- Optimize the infrastructure serving batch ML models to microservices
- Automate and incrementally improve databases and microservices provisioning
- Scale systems efficiently through configuration tuning and/or architectural changes
- Troubleshoot/debug performance issues and architectural bottlenecks
- Cultivate a culture of automation, observability and monitoring
You will fit well if you have experience with:
- Infrastructure as code (e.g., CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform, Pulumi);
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm, Mesos);
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, S3, RDS, ELB, ASG, IAM, CloudWatch, SNS, CloudTrail, Config);
- Monitoring (Prometheus, Grafana, NewRelic, InfluxDB, Librato, Splunk);
- Microservices and CI/CD pipelines (GoCD, CircleCI, TravisCI, Jenkins, CodePipeline, Tekton);
- Programming Languages (Go, Rust, Python, Ruby, C)
Experience with the following is desirable:
- SQL / NoSQL databases (Datomic, DynamoDB, AWS Redshift, PostgreSQL);
- Distributed data processing frameworks (Spark, Flink, MapReduce);
- Networking and tooling on Linux/Unix-like environments (eBPF, bcc, flamegraphs, tcpdump, netstat, iperf, nmap, traceroute, iptables);
- Large scale operations with Kafka and Zookeeper;
- Functional Programming Languages (Clojure, Scala, Haskell)
- Data Workflow Management Systems (Apache Airflow, Argo, Luigi)
Don't worry if you don't know all of it! Having experience in some of it and being willing to learn is enough to apply.
You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with bleeding edge technologies. We believe in good team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and our surprising capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded. Good computer science skills and concepts as well as English language skills are essential.
We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and eschew coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success, and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
- Learning and wellness allowance
- Vacations of 28 working days
- Opportunity of earning equity at Nubank
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
*Interviewing and onboarding are currently done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices. If/when relocation is required, we have a team dedicated to global mobility and have partnered up with the best companies in the market to make sure processes run smoothly. We also offer a very competitive relocation package for international hires.