Nubank is the leading financial technology company in Latin America. Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app. Almost 30 million people have requested the product since launch, and the company has passed the 10 million customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its proprietary loyalty rewards program ("Nubank Rewards"), as well as a digital account ("NuConta") that is already used by 7 million people. This year, the company began testing its personal loan service and took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina. To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 420 million in seven equity investment rounds from Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company' 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
Our Engineering Team
Nubank is a technology company and software engineers form the bulk of our team. We are a group of extremely passionate software engineers, with varying degrees of experience and diverse backgrounds responsible for improving our customers experience with the app and creating new features.
We believe in:
- Good team chemistry;
- Enthusiasm for building and delivering new features and products;
- Capacity to keep learning new things while constantly improving what we are already good at;
- Collaborating efficiently to ship quality products.
What are some examples of problems a Systems Engineer will solve?
Here at Nubank we treat infrastructure and operations as Software Engineering problems. It's expected of a Systems Engineer to have solid programming skills coupled with background on networks and operating systems. We consistently work with new technologies and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of pre-existing comfort zones.
Some of the problems you'll encounter:
- Automate and incrementally improve databases and microservices provisioning;
- Scale systems efficiently through configuration tuning and/or major architectural changes;
- Orchestrate containers and maintain a highly available platform with Kubernetes
- Provision AWS resources in a programmatic manner through SDKs.
- Troubleshoot/debug performance issues and architectural bottlenecks;
- Cultivate a culture of observability and monitoring.
- Infrastructure as code (e.g., CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform)
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm, Mesos)
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, S3, RDS, ELB, ASG, IAM, CloudWatch, SNS, CloudTrail, Config)
- Networking and tooling on Linux/Unix-like environments (eBPF, bcc, flamegraphs, tcpdump, netstat, iperf, nmap, traceroute, iptables)
- Microservices environments and CI/CD pipelines (GoCD, CircleCI, TravisCI, Jenkins, CodePipeline)
- Large scale operations with Kafka and Zookeeper
- SQL / NoSQL databases (Datomic, DynamoDB, AWS Redshift, PostgreSQL)
- Monitoring and Culture of Observability (Prometheus, Grafana, NewRelic, InfluxDB, Librato)
- Proficiency in at least one high-level scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby)
- Functional Programming Languages (Clojure, Scala, Haskell)
Don't worry if you don't know all of it! Having experience in some of it and being willing to learn is enough to apply.
You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with bleeding edge technologies. We believe in good team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and our surprising capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded. Good computer science skills and concepts as well as English language skills are helpful.
We are a very process-light organisation that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and eschew coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success, and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
- 28 days of vacation
- Competitive compensation package, including the opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- Wellness and learning benefit
- Flexible hours
- Possibility of yearly travel to our Latin American offices
- Relocation assistance (when outside of Berlin)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.