About Nubank Berlin
Nubank Berlin is an engineering hub focused on Nubank’s horizontal engineering needs. Our (new) office in Berlin Mitte is centered around data-infrastructure. Shipping valuable features require dealing with distributed applications, infrastructure, user-facing APIs, and production microservices. Our engineers commonly rotate focus on these responsibilities. We consistently work with and explore new technologies, and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of preexisting comfort zones.
Nubank itself is the leading financial technology company in Latin America and the largest independent neobank in the world, valuated in US$ 10 billion.
Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app and used by 10 million customers. The company has passed the 15 million customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its digital account ("NuConta") which is already used by 12 million people. In 2019, the company took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina.
To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 820 million in seven equity investment rounds from TCV, Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
About the role
As a Technical Writer in our Berlin office, you will be working closely with a multicultural team of engineers dedicated to Data Engineering and Data Infrastructure. They provide the means of accessing data to Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, Business Architects and to many other stakeholders over LATAM. The platform is key to Nubank's success, allowing the company to perform complex analysis and risk assessments.
You will be leading the initiative to document our complex big data platform, allowing other engineering teams to work with it by building integrations, for instance, besides speeding up the onboarding process of different technical roles (Software Engineers, Product Managers, Tech Managers, and many others).
What we are looking for
- Demonstrable body of work communicating complex technical concepts in concise, well-organized English writing.
- Broad understanding of software development tools and practices - you don’t necessarily need to be an active engineer, but you’ll need to have a feel for how different teams build software
- Familiarity with the basics of git and GitHub pull requests.
- A desire to delve into a myriad of different tools, languages, and frameworks.
- Capacity to define objectives, link them to metrics, and track those metrics over time as optimization efforts progress.
- Ability to engage with a messy, inconsistent status quo and salvage the good parts without succumbing to “not invented here" syndrome.
- A tendency to enjoy and become inspired by fantastic engineers (who may not always be fantastically written communicators).
- Design and drive buy-in around a standardized system and approach to technical and domain documentation/knowledge management for Nubank.
- Work closely with our engineering and product teams to distill key business flows, microservice architectures, design patterns, and hard-won learnings. Turn these insights into written and drawn documentation that current and future engineers will reference when thinking about learning our technologies and tools as the main resource for technical onboarding and domain-specific information.
- Test and learn, measuring user engagement to ensure that efforts are yielding the desired benefits; adjust as necessary, just as high performing product teams do!
- Identify standard patterns for what teams should be documenting and formats for how to communicate these. Own the documentation vision and work with product teams to progressively fill in the blanks.
- Over time, engage in initial product documentation, requests for comment (RFCs), architecture decision records (ADRs), and data infrastructure release notes as written communication becomes a standard approach for Nubank’s product and platform lifecycle.
- Take inventory of existing documentation platforms and content and leverage what’s working.
- Understand and incorporate the documentation needs of the end-users by gathering their feedback directly.
- Build feedback loops into hiring and onboarding to ensure we are continuously improving the experience of new hires and lateral transfers joining teams within Nubank.
- Engage cross-functionally to align whether our engineering approach to knowledge management could be adopted more broadly, and vice versa.
You will fit well if
- You thrive in dynamic, fast-paced, results-oriented teams
- You are hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and do more
- You embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo
- You learn fast and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities
- You believe in building great products and doing your best work
- You want to understand the big picture, to be held accountable and make a meaningful contribution with your work
- Competitive compensation package
- 28 days of vacation
- Participation in Nubank’s Stock Option Plan
- Flexible working arrangements
- A modern technology stack
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS, etc.)
- Relocation support
- Company events
- Wellness and learning benefits