This position will support all legal, corporate and regulatory issues related to Nu Colombia’s business. The Head of Legal and Public Policy will assist in maintaining legal oversight for Nu COlombia’s legal entity and will help enable business growth while serving as a gatekeeper to prevent against legal, regulatory and reputational harm. We’re looking for a leader and multiplier who will provide legal advice; collaborate with the business to understand legal needs, requirements and issues; source legal services internally and externally; and provide legal support on special projects.
You can read more about it in our blog and get some insights into how we work.
As a Head of Legal & Public Policy, you're expected to:
- Act as primary Legal Advisor for all Colombia-related matters
- Analyse risk comprehensively, taking into account such things as the legal, consumer, and reputational impact of plans and decisions
- Support Nu Colombia’s operations, including participation in the local leadership team
- Ensure compliance with all Colombian laws, regulations and internal requirements
- Understand local, regional and business unit operational structure and advice on legal risks; coordinate with internal stakeholders as appropriate and ensure legal our entity are compliant with applicable laws and regulations
- Handle regulatory filings (registrations, authorizations, new products, etc.)
- Analyse Colombian law, proposed legislation or regulations that may influence Nu Colombia’s operations.
- Monitor and coordinate network of outside counsel in the region
- Provide legal advice to underwriting, client markets and claims
- Drive internal trainings on legal, regulatory and compliance risks to management, and senior managements
- Assist business units in understanding and evaluating proposed laws and regulations and political context
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner any proposed laws, regulations or other public policies which could affect Nu Colombia and its operations in the region
- Coordinate with governance teams to ensure appropriate governance and accurate reporting for the legal entities aligned to the region
- Oversee the development of market conduct policies
- Support development procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements as well as Nu Colombia’s internal guidelines
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Legal & Public Policy who has:
- Proven track record of experience with Colombian regulation, public policy and law.
- Proven experience in the financial services industry
- Proven track record in legal core activities and knowledge of the Colombian market, and consumer finance
- Great relationship builder with the ability to establish trust and credibility with leaders, peers, and external regulators
- Outstanding communication skills; ability to communicate concisely and effectively across all levels of the organization
- An ability to deliver despite ambiguity and changing expectations. You see that there's almost always more than one way to do something well
- Ability to deal with unexpected situations with wise decisions
- A 'can-do' approach to work, always looking for new ways to adapt traditional practices in a new and challenging way
- A great prioritizer profile that thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Fluent or native Spanish and English
- Equity at Nubank
- Health insurance
- Vacations of 15 workdays
- NuLanguage - Language learning program
- Parental leaves
Diversity & Inclusion at Nubank
We want to have a product for everyone, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or background. We are proud to say that 30% of Nubanker recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team comprises women in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is an essential part of our culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow, and share ideas.
Nubank continues to hire for all open roles, all interviewing and onboarding is done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices.