Nubank is the leading financial technology company in Latin America. Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app. Almost 30 million people have requested the product since launch, and the company has passed the 10 million active customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its proprietary loyalty rewards program ("Nubank Rewards"), as well as a digital account ("NuConta") that is already used by 7 million people. This year, the company began testing its personal loan service and took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina. To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 420 million in seven equity investment rounds from Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company' 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
Our Data Scientist Chapter
Nubank is a financial technology company that is rethinking financial services in Brazil. We are always looking for Machine Learning Engineers (as well as Modelers, Statisticians, AI Practitioners and Data Scientists) for building proprietary algorithms that predict responsively to a large amount of different customer behaviours, solving major company challenges and continuously improving customer experience.
We believe in:
- Good team chemistry;
- Enthusiasm for building and delivering new features and products;
- Capacity to keep learning new things while constantly improving what we are already good at;
- Collaboration and product experience focus for our customers.
How we work:
At Nubank, we don't shy away from using the latest machine learning algorithms, techniques and technologies; in fact, we encourage them. We use a database technology that transparently stores timestamps for every persisted db entity, allowing us to reconstruct our customers history and build leakage free predictive models. We have rich datasets with natural language text, images, graphs, and much more, as well as more traditional sources of financial data. As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer your goal will be to enable Data Scientists to be more productive and deliver cutting edge solutions in the most reliable way.
- Stays ahead of our Machine Learning needs by identifying opportunities for improvement in our modelling tools, processes and infrastructure
- Brings expertise to the team to help design and prioritize projects across the many areas involved in building machine learning products (training, deployment, data consistency, monitoring, governance, etc)
- Translates complex business challenges into specific and well designed machine learning solutions that meet enterprise requirements
- Designs tools to automate the creation and tuning of hundreds of different machine learning models in a distributed and reproducible manner
- Designs architectures to decrease the time a model takes to go from inception to production and also to support more complex models
- Designs architectures to enable reusable and consistent monitoring, from input features to the final policy decision
- Works closely with our data engineers to improve our capacity to build low-latency (near real time) data pipelines that feed our production models
- 2 - 4 years combined experience in either building and deploying ML models or working as a data engineer building supporting data pipelines
- Strong coding skills in Python/Scala/Clojure or equivalent languages
- Some experience with Big Data processing (Spark / Hive/ Hadoop / HDFS)
- Experience developing on large code bases, with CI/CD, impacting thousands or millions of users
- Solid understanding of the lifecycle of a machine learning model, from dataset construction to monitoring
- Some experience with machine learning tools and libraries such as Scikit-learn, Mllib, TensorFlow
- Strong knowledge and experience with databases, with solid data handling skills (SQL is a plus)English language proficiency (Portuguese is not required).
Nice to have:
- Math/statistics experience;
- Experience with large scale software systems serving it to millions of users with reliable deployment and monitoring;
- MS/PhD degree in Computer Science or related fields;
- Experience with Data Science models;
- Experience with Spark
- Docker, Kubernetes experience
- Experience with CI/CD
You will fit well if:
- You are hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and do more
- You embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo
- You learn quickly and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities
- You believe in building products and doing work by international standards
- You want to understand the big picture, to be held accountable and make a meaningful contribution with your work
- You are always looking to improve yours and the team productivity
We are excited to meet people with various areas of expertise – there is no single ideal profile. We believe there is room for very diverse skill sets to make a meaningful contribution.
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.