Nubank is the leading financial technology company in Latin America. Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app. Almost 30 million people have requested the product since launch, and the company has passed the 10 million customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its proprietary loyalty rewards program ("Nubank Rewards"), as well as a digital account ("NuConta") that is already used by 7 million people. This year, the company began testing its personal loan service and took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina. To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 420 million in seven equity investment rounds from Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company' 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
Our Data Science Chapter
Nubank is a financial technology company that is rethinking financial services in Brazil. We are always looking for outstanding Data Scientists (as well as Modelers, Statisticians, AI Practitioners and Machine Learning Engineers) to help us to build proprietary algorithms that predict responsiveness to a vary of customer behaviours to help us solve major company challenges and continuously improve customer experience.
We believe in:
- Good team chemistry;
- Enthusiasm for building and delivering new features and products;
- Capacity to keep learning new things while constantly improving what we are already good at;
- Collaborating efficiently to ship a great product experience to our customers.
What are the challenges Data Scientists face at Nubank?
- Create thousands of new predictive variables using your intuition, sociological insight and automation techniques;
- Discover and evaluate the usefulness of new data sources;
- Automate the creation of hundreds of different machine learning models;
- Find the most best audience for our products;
- Underwrite and assign client profile to applicants;
- Thwart identity theft and credit card transaction fraud;
At Nubank we don't shy away from using the latest and greatest machine learning algorithms and techniques; in fact, we encourage them. We have a rich dataset with natural language text, images, graphs, and much more, as well as more traditional sources of financial data. We also have an almost endless set of models to build, including everything from credit scoring to text tagging.
- Be thoughtful and attentive with everything that you are developing, showing great attention to detail;
- Has a burning desire to apply data-driven solutions to tackle real-world problems;
- Curious and always trying to find new, better solutions in everything you start;
- Like finding new, better solutions to “solved problems”;
- Fast learner and easygoing, looking forward to work in a fast pace environment.
- Programming proficiency in any programming language (Solves problems using clean code);
- Deep understand about modern Machine Learning techniques (Could teach how the most used machine learning models work);
- English language proficiency, Portuguese is not required (Able to communicate and argue in English).
- 3+ years of relevant professional or academic experience in a highly quantitative field (e.g. statistics, computer science, mathematics, physics, genetics, econometrics, bio statistics, epidemiology)
- Multiple notable finishes in machine learning competitions;
- Contribution to multiple data science projects;
- Diverse Machine Learning knowledge (Reinforcement Learning, NLP, recommendation systems, unsupervised...);
- Experience working with languages that support statistical learning (e.g. Python, R, Scala);
- An advanced ability to work on distributed cloud platforms and interact with databases;
- Experience designing experiments and scientific thinking.
We are excited to meet people with various areas of expertise (both experienced and college seniors) – there is no single ideal profile. We believe there is room for very diverse skill sets to add value.
- Competitive compensation package, including opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Meal allowance (“vale refeição”)
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.