The NowThis team is looking for a motivated, multi-talented Associate Producer to assist our Senior Correspondent in creating short, medium and long form original storytelling for NowThis channels and platforms. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in a digital newsroom or documentary production company. They will be an organized self-starter who desires a position with a rapidly growing news outlet and aspires to make an impact in the field of journalism.
**This position is based in Los Angeles, working with a small team in a production company office setting, not the NowThis newsroom.**
- Assist in all aspects of pre-production to include research, scheduling, budgeting, locations, and production planning
- Aid in quick turnaround short-form video creation (work with senior correspondent to react quickly to a trending story, 1-2/week; write, shoot, source footage and deliver a rough cut to NYC within a matter of hours)
- Manage post production and delivery of content to include legal, licensing, and administrative requirements, communicating each milestone back to HQ
- Collaborate with other project team members (Writer, Director, LP, Editor, audio, graphics etc.) on the directives of the project or series
- Follow project through from pre to post-production, working with project team to ensure it’s executed as conceived, approved, and within budget
- Research, gather and clear elements for content including appropriate music clips, stock footage, logos, etc.
- Schedule and supervise post-production, i.e. edit, audio, graphics, V.O. towards maintaining creative vision appropriately. Assist editors to choose music and sound effects
- Issue a quick turnaround of videos edited and optimized for social feeds
- Create shot lists/storyboards
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred) or graduate studies in digital video, visual journalism or documentary filmmaking
- Requires strong production background: experience securing locations, hire crews, wardrobe, set designer, etc.
- Working knowledge of production tools for shooting, editing, audio, graphics etc. and staying current with new technologies and capabilities of these tools
- Experience producing, shooting and editing short videos for web or social
- Excellent communication skills - this position will be the lead communication between Kaj’s team in L.A. and NowThis HQ in New York
- Proficiency with DSLR cameras and basic 3-point lighting
- 2-3 years experience as PA or AP at a documentary production company or in a newsroom
- 1+ years video editing experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Excel and social media
Nice to Haves:
- Experience creating multi-platform edits of videos to work on various social feeds
- Basic motion graphics experience and competency (After Effects)
- Experience interviewing or pre-interviewing, as a reporter or producer
- Footage rights and clearances experience
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.