We are developing cutting-edge technology to solve the hardest problems in education.
NovoEd is a student-centered online learning environment that emphasizes collaboration and teamwork through techniques in human-computer interaction, algorithms, and social network design. We make online learning engaging and effective through our social learning environment (platform) and courses optimized for project-based learning (content). Based in San Francisco, CA, our small team has already built the most advanced online learning and collaboration platform, which offers both free and paid classes.
NovoEd’s Engineering team is a team of collaborative, passionate and smart engineers. We work closely with designers and product managers to build the most intuitive, sleek and smooth learning experiences. We take pride in designing high quality code, in our attention to code style, our code review culture and our culture of learning together as a team. We have bi-weekly engineering lunches where we discuss and tackle technical and non-technical challenges faced by our engineering organization. We enjoy monthly team events with the NovoEd team and our engineering team outings.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for frontend developers to build the most advanced online learning environment. Challenges include:
- Designing and building reusable, scalable and highly interactive learning experiences
- Ensuring students on the go can watch videos, submit assignments, and interact in class from their mobile device
- Building a scalable notifications system for web and mobile
- Architecting a social news feed to stream relevant student-generated content, including projects and forum posts, while protecting academic integrity and privacy
- Visualizing complex student and class data to highlight useful insights
- Engineering synchronous collaborative work environments that can support hundreds of simultaneous users
We use Angular.js, JQuery, SASS, HTML5, and Twitter bootstrap in our frontend. Our ideal candidate is a collaborative lifelong learner who can pick up new technologies, aspires to build high quality user experiences and cares deeply about the performance and extendability of their work. We are looking for team players who will contribute to our product as well as the growth and culture of our team. Experience or desire to mentor team members and help grow a team is a big plus.
- 3+ years of experience building frontend applications
- 1+ years of experience with a frontend framework: Angular.js, Ember.js, or Backbone.js
- Strong background in frontend design patterns
- Experience in building scalable frontend applications
- Advanced understanding of the web stack
- Advanced understanding of performance considerations for web and mobile web applications
- Desire, and experience to lead big frontend projects with multiple stages of technology transfer
854 Folsom St, San Francisco, CA. A 10 minute walk from San Francisco Caltrain station, a 10 minute walk from the Powell BART station.
We offer a competitive salary and generous equity in one of the hottest edtech start-ups, in addition to 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage, we offer unlimited time off, lunch 5 days/week, fully stocked fridge, an awesome office space, and provide all the technology you need. More importantly, we have the friendliest, warmest and best team we've all ever seen!!